Physician (Palliative Care)
Duties to include:
- Coverage of inpatient palliative care consultations and in-patient palliative care and hospice admissions at the MTZ CREC/CLC, including attending supervision of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellows performing such consultations (5 days per week)
- Coverage of outpatient Martinez (MTZ) palliative care clinic (including Face 2 Face, Telephone and VVC clinics), including attending supervision of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellows (1/2 day per week with expansion to two ½ days per week or more depending on need)
- Coverage of outpatient Oakland (OAK) palliative care clinic (including Face 2 Face, Telephone and VVC clinics) (1/2 day per week)
- Coverage of East Bay telehealth palliative care clinics that are not MTZ or OAK (e.g., FF, MI)
- Cross coverage of overnight and weekend Medical Services at MTZ CREC/CLC (e.g., part of rotating call schedule)
- May expand to future palliative care coverage depending on need and workload
- Work towards the goal of expanding Martinez and Oakland outpatient palliative care consultations, which are not being conducted currently.
- Participate in Staff education, and coordination of hospice and palliative care at Martinez, and across Northern California Health Care System.
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Physical Requirements:Physical requirements: Applicants must meet physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to placement is required. This is a designated drug testing position. After appointment, you will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use. Requires lifting 15-44 pounds; pushing (approx. 2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and kneeling. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Palliative Care)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly