Physician (Chief Hospitalist)
Education and length of practice are considered through a formal pay-setting process to determine the final compensable salary (Base Pay + Market Pay)
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP):You will be eligible to apply to the program if selectee for this position.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive:A recruitment or relocation incentive may be offered to highly qualified applicants.
The primary purpose of the position is to provide supervision over Hospitalist staff and services to include administrative and management functions. The Hospitalist Service provides general Internal Medicine care of patients to include, but not limited to patient assessment and treatment, management of acute exacerbation of illnesses and minor medical changes. The Hospitalist Service coordinates the care of patients to achieve maximum outcomes. The Hospitalist Service rotates staff on a regular basis and duties may be assigned at either the Montgomery Campus or the Tuskegee Campus. May also work off-hour shifts, weekends, and holidays as priorities demonstrate a need on a rotating basis. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Full program responsibility and oversight for the Hospitalist Service and Inpatient Wards including ICU
Provide direct supervision to the Hospitalists and Medical Officer on Duty (MOD) staff.
Provide diagnosis and treatment of diseases to adult patients in an inpatient setting, presenting with illnesses and injuries applicable to his/her practice, training, experience or current competence including ordering diagnostic imaging studies and labs.
Ensure that the Hospitalist Inpatient Service and the MOD service is fully staffed for 24/7 coverage. Must cover shifts when there is staffing shortage.Participate actively in performance improvement and attend assigned meetings or process action teams. Work collaboratively with other specialties.
Follow VA directives and polices and maintains current in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS).
Possess computer skills to access and input typed data on each patient into the computerized patient record system (CPRS).
Maintain license to practice medicine in a state, territory or commonwealth of the United States or in the District of Columbia. Required to possess full and unrestricted licensure and to maintain current registration.Provides direct clinical supervision of advanced practice nurses, physician assistants, residents and other staff as appropriate.
Establishes professional working relationships with other clinical service providers within the medical center and outlying clinics. Cooperates with and participates in medical duties or functions related to quality of care, peer review and with other performance improvement activities as directed.
Documents observations, assessments, and changes in patient's condition; collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes.
Attend mandatory trainings, such as, Talent Management System (TMS), VA Voices, Own the Moment, and comply with CME requirements in the specialty of Inpatient Medicine timely.
Must be aware and compliant of VA Strategic Analytics for Improvement and Learning (SAIL) metrics and VA Performance Measures. Implement Action Plans to improve the SAIL metrics and the VA performance Measures as indicated.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - May also be required to work off-hour shifts, weekends, and holidays as priorities demonstrate a need on a rotating basis.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:There are no physical requirements for providers. They must only be able to practice medicine according to their privileges, in a manner that presents no danger to themselves or others.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Chief Hospitalist)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly