The DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS Northport VAMC Extended Care Nocturnist/Hospitalist
The incumbent will perform "history & physical" examinations, evaluate all medical problems and define the appropriate therapeutic approach. The incumbent will routinely read and interpret ECG's, chest x-rays, pulmonary function tests, and a wide range of clinical laboratory tests.
The incumbent demonstrates the skill and knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served, including the ability to identify patient needs, and to provide the care needed to promote improvement.
The incumbent is responsible for support, cooperation and participation in meeting the goals and objectives of the Medical Care Cost Recovery Program. This includes assuring the cooperation of subordinates in performing tasks which may directly or indirectly contribute to the accomplishment of the MCCR collection goals and the fulfillment of the requirements of Public Laws, VA Directives, legislation and local initiatives which govern the MCCR program. Duties to include:
- The Extended Care Nocturnist Staff is a hospitalist responsible for providing care to hospitalized CLC residents, identifying health problems, and designing diagnostic and therapeutic plans to meet these needs during overnight hours.
- Round on the 4 CLCs and attend to the various needs of the patients in each unit.
- Manage the hospice unit ensuring quality compassionate end-of-life care to our residents.
- Evaluate ill patients to decide who can safely be managed in the CLCs and who needs to be evaluated in the emergency room and likely requires admission
- Hours of coverage subject to change based on needs of patient care.
- Being available to staff procedures done during the tour of duty.
- Being available for acute medical issues that arise on any CLC resident
- Complete OPPE's evaluations for the CLC providers as required.
- Complete catastrophic evaluation for LISVH
- Complete a QM Project/RCA
- Adherence to VA policies and procedures regarding documentation, patient safety, and utilization. Independently assess patients for admission and disposition when dictated by house staff schedule and regulations.
- Reports to the Associate Chief of staff for Geriatrics and Extended Care
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical OfficerSimilar jobs Internal Medicine PhysiciansPhysicians, Internal Medicine
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Education and length of practice are considered through a formal pay-setting process to determine the final compensable salary (Base Pay + Market Pay)
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:The physical requirements of this position include occasional lifting, prolonged standing and sitting, frequent bending, walking (distance), climbing, reaching (overhead, extensive/repetitive), repetitive motion, and stooping. The mental/sensory requirements include recall, reasoning, problem-solving, hearing, speaking clearly, writing legibly, reading, and logical thinking. The environment's pace can vary from steady to a sometimes-fast pace requiring handling of multiple priorities, frequent, sometimes intense customer interactions, and the ability to adapt to frequent changes in a sometimes noisy environment. There may be an occasional need to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to disease, illness, and hazardous materials.
Per VA Directive and Handbook 5019
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician-Nocturnist/Hospitalist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly