Senior Vice President and Dean
Senior Vice President and Dean
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Why join The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)?
Innovative Academic Health Science Center with State-of-the-Art Facilities:
UTMB Health is a Tier 1 Carnegie Research designated university, and a billion-dollar health science center comprised of four schools (the School of Medicine, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, the School of Health Professions, and the School of Nursing), four research institutes and many exceptional research centers. UTMB’s Health Education Center, which opened in 2019, is a 162,000 square foot, five level, world-class training facility that enhances learning through an interprofessional approach to medical education. UTMB is also home to the Galveston National Laboratory, one of two labs with Biosafety Level 4 capabilities located on a U.S. university campus, with an internationally renowned research enterprise. UTMB was the first academic health center in Texas and is home to the state’s first schools of medicine, nursing, and allied health sciences. For 125 years, the university has maintained a forward-thinking spirit that has enabled it to serve its students, its patients, and the people in Texas and beyond. You can learn more about UTMB at www.utmb.edu.
The Senior Vice President and Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) reports to the Executive Vice President and Provost and oversees all academic graduate programs. The Dean of GSBS is responsible for developing and overseeing service-oriented processes and a robust infrastructure in support of UTMB’s rapidly expanding graduate programs. Working closely with the Deans of Medicine, Nursing, and Health Professions; Chief Research Officer, and clinical and basic science departments, the Dean of GSBS is responsible for ensuring that a comprehensive infrastructure for graduate education exists. The Dean of GSBS develops and sustains a balance between a high level of client service via graduate program faculty members with an unusually high level of operational efficiency. For additional information about the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, go to https://gsbs.utmb.edu/.
The Senior Vice President and Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences must minimally possess a Ph.D. or equivalent and 10 or more years’ relevant experience ideally in graduate school capacity, with at least 3 years in a leadership or administrative capacity.
Preferred but not Required Experience:
Ten years of graduate school experience with progressing responsibilities, including experience in the oversight and leadership of graduate school operations within a large and complex academic medical center. Qualified for a faculty position at the rank of full Professor.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides leadership and general oversight of all aspects of the Graduate School.
- Works with the Deans of the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Health Professions to conduct periodic external reviews, including evaluations of individual degree programs.
- Ensures accreditation requirements involving the programs of the Graduate School are met in a timely manner.
- Serves on committees including: President’s Executive Committee, Institutional Conflict Committee, Executive Committee-Graduate School, Council of Deans, and Executive Committees in the School of Medicine.
- Strategic planning activities for graduate education.
- Development and administration of the Graduate School budget.
- Identifies and distributes graduate student fellowship and assistant funding.
- Oversees development and implementation of a strategic enrollment management plan for graduate program recruitment and admission.
- Oversees program productivity and performance for funding success within graduate school
Core Competencies and Leadership Qualifications:
- Knowledge of management principles, excellent organizational and management skills, analytical ability to organize, present data and information for senior administration.
- Demonstrated record of academic accomplishments and innovation having at least national and preferably international impact.
- Demonstrated ability to be a positive, supportive role model for faculty and students.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversifying the faculty and students.
- A distinguished record of teaching, advising, and mentoring graduate students.
- Excellent leadership skills in supervising staff, and leading teams through business process improvement and organizational change initiatives.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal relationship skills, acting as an influential member of the faculty and succeeding through influence as well as authority.
- Proven track record of engendering confidence and in working effectively with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Knowledge of and ability to function in a collaborative/participatory management environment.
- Ability to develop, implement, and maintain major initiatives within a highly, complex academic environment.
A negotiable starting salary is based upon experience and educational background with potential annual incentives of up to 30%. UTMB also offers a superior benefits package, an excellent retirement program, and a relocation allowance.
UTMB Health is located on Galveston Island along the Texas Gulf Coast. Enjoy the island life with moderate temperatures and year-round outdoor activities only 50 minutes from all the amenities that Houston has to offer. Enjoy our family culture and collaborative environment while you work, live, and play on sunny Galveston Island! To learn more about Galveston and the surrounding communities, go to www.utmb.edu/utmbliving/.
Interested candidates should submit a detailed Cover Letter and current Curriculum Vitae (CV) to:
Skott Harrington via email, email@example.com. Please be sure to include a preferred contact method.
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.