Site Physician - Full Time Evening Hours
Responsible for providing medical services to inmates of the Department of Corrections consistent with community standards of care. Provides overall supervision for clinical services for the site. Serves as the liaison for clinical matters with medical providers outside the system and provides “on-call” services.
- Reports to the assigned facility at the designated time to examine referred patients.
- Assures the implementation and on-going supervision of the on-site chronic clinics.
- Consults with medical providers in the community to resolve issues in delivering services to inmates.
- Assumes the role of primary care physician with the coordination of on and off-site care needs.
- Supervises the clinical services provided by the professional and paraprofessional staff.
- As directed, visits patients housed in the medial unit and records encounters in-patient progress notes using the SOAP format.
- Ensures that all verbal or telephone orders are countersigned within seventy-two (72) hours.
- When appropriate, utilizes available in-house resource personnel for treatment or resolution of identified problems before utilizing off-site referral.
- Provides emergency treatment on-site and responds appropriately in urgent or emergency situations.
- Maintains proper certification for cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for his/her individual judgment and actions.
- Utilizes standard precautions when providing any invasive procedures for diagnostic or routine studies or handling specimens.
- Keeps patient information confidential and respects the patient’s right to privacy, in accordance with accepted confidentiality practices for incarcerated individuals.
- Abides by the security regulations of the facility.
- Notifies the Administrator of changes in scheduled coverage and assists in arranging medical services coverage if unavailable for an extended period of time.
- Serves a Chairperson of the Medical Audit Committee.
- Annually reviews and approves clinical protocols, clinical policies, procedures, and medical disaster plans.
- Assists with the development of medical audit criteria.
- Oversees the on-site quality assurance program, including infection control and review & action on inmate complaints.
- Serves as a discussion leader for selected –service training classes.
- Represents the health care program in discussion with local civic groups or visiting officials.
- Monitors referrals to outside health care facilities for appropriateness, quality, and continuity of care.
- Monitors non-formulary medication utilization at the assigned facility.
- Is available for the resolution of administrative/medical issues.
- Assists in screening, interviewing, and evaluating the credentials of health care providers.
- Ensures that all physician documentation is dated, timed, legible, problem-oriented, and signed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a degree in medicine (M.D./D.O.) from an accredited medical school.
- Must be licensed to perform medicine and must be CDS certified.