Chief Medical Officer
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the CEO/President ensures medical practices are in place to support highest quality, cost-effective and efficient clinical services. Responsible for the implementation of medical standards and guidelines in compliance with Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and regulatory agencies. Provides direct patient care and acts as consultant to clinical staff in core services and specialty services. Serves as a member of the PPM Leadership Team. Work may be performed directly by the CMO or delegated as appropriate.
- Serve as Director of, or supervise the appointed Director, of all clinical programs including Abortion, Analgesia and Sedation, Family Planning, Ultrasound, Colposcopy, LEEP, Hysteroscopic Tubal Sterilization, and Urinary Incontinence.
- Assist in the planning, implementation, administration and evaluation of all affiliate clinical programs and services in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) or designee: Develop and modify programs/services in accordance with current community needs, agency goals and objectives as well as fiscal/administrative directives; Seek opportunities for collaborative community partnerships.
- Chair and oversee the activities of the Credentialing Committee.
- Work with the Chief Operating Officer to establish productivity goals and ensure quality.
- Supervise PPM's Clinicians/Physicians and sign off on the clinician credentialing process; approves privileges for clinicians and physicians. Actively recruit and screen Clinicians and Physicians. Provide clinical approval of candidates prior to hire in partnership with the Vice President of Organizational Development and the COO or designee. Evaluate the clinical competence of clinician/physician staff at least annually.
- Oversee training of new Clinicians/Physicians.
- Supervise ongoing training to clinician staff for Medical Standards & Guidelines, new or changed protocols, devices or equipment. Seeks PPFA approvals on waivers.
- Periodically review training of non-clinician health center staff to ensure accuracy of medical components (lab training, counseling information, policy and protocols).
- Hold all Clinicians/Physicians accountable to specific measurable customer service standards (e.g. through annual performance monitoring and implementing corrective action plans when customer service expectations are not being met). Personally models customer service standards.
- Assure compliance with medical standards and guidelines, laws and regulations of federal and state agencies as well as PPFA. Research and write policies and procedures as needed to implement guidelines and regulations.
- Consult with the PPM Clinicians/Physicians on appropriate medical management of patients.
- Initiate arrangements for emergency follow up of patients in conjunction with Operations when needed.
- Ensure occurrence reporting is done in a timely manner, and in accordance with PPFA and ARMS regulations.
- Oversee the annual clinical quality assurance activities to ensure that the mix of activities being reviewed targets appropriate and significant areas of PPM clinical activity. Perform, or delegate the performance of, required clinical quality assurance activities including clinician, chart and site reviews.
- Assess and make recommendations concerning potential research opportunities. Supervise research projects as necessary.
- Participate in operational and strategic planning processes for PPM, as requested.
- Provide direct care for family planning clinical services and surgical services.
- Serve as consultant to clinicians, and as appropriate and/or necessary for staff training.
- Direct policies and procedures regarding pharmaceuticals, formularies and medical equipment.
- Support health center efforts to achieve established revenue cycle goals.
- Maintain hospital privileges, as appropriate.
- Serves as programmatic liaison for resident, fellowship and medical student rotations through PPM clinical practices.
- Serve as the medical director for the laboratory.
Apply for Chief Medical Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly