Physician - Urologist
This is an OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT and will remain open until January 18, 2021. The initial cut-off date for referral of eligible applications will be October 16, 2020, with subsequent cut-off dates on the 1st of each month. Eligible applications received after that date will be referred at regular intervals or as additional vacancies occur on an as-needed basis until positions are filled.
The Urologist duties may include but are not limited to the following competencies
- Urology consultation for inpatients and outpatients.
- Evaluate and treat Urology emergencies in the Emergency Department, Outpatient clinic, Inpatient ward, ICU, and the Operating Room.
- Provide professional services requiring full range of inpatient and outpatient Urology procedures.
- Facilitate patient access to medical care by recommending appropriate referrals to other health care providers in accordance with applicable policies and regulations.
- Responsible for being able to admit, work-up, and treat either surgical or medical patients presenting with illness or injuries of the genitourinary systems.
- Evaluate the patient to assess any changes in the physical status, lab values and vital signs of the patient prior to surgery. Appropriate notes are written in the patient's medical records, times, dates, and signed.
- Ability to perform minor and major surgical procedures.
- Responsible for providing the patient with risks, benefits and alternative treatments and securing the informed consent of the patient/family needed before conducting invasive procedures.
- Responsible for regular postoperative follow-up, patient teaching and wound care upon discharge orders in the chart in a timely manner.
- Perform emergency surgical procedures as needed.
- Complete all electronic, clinical, daily charting and documentation required by the Medical Center in a timely manner.
- Participate in all surgical quality/performance improvement initiatives.
- All Other duties as assigned, pertaining to this occupation, to meet the needs to the Agency, Department, Facility, and/or Service
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Travel Required Not required
Supervisory status No
Promotion Potential None
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Board Certification: Physicians are generally not required to be board certified for employment in VA; however, three circumstances in VA require physician board certification:
- If the position being filled is required to be a supervisor for medical students or physician residents (including fellows), the LCME, ACGME or AOA standards requiring a particular board certification credential will apply.
- If the position being filled will have faculty status with an affiliated medical school (for example, in joint recruitments with affiliated medical schools), then a medical school requirement for board certification will apply to the jointly recruited position.
- If the position being filled is required to be board certified by virtue of specific VHA policy (for example, as director of a cardiac catheterization laboratory or Director of Clinical Laboratory Medicine), then VHA policy requiring board certification will apply.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirement: Must have the mental and physical ability to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment, pass the requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies and meet the Physical requirements below.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs. and over), light carrying (under 15 lbs.), reaching over shoulders, walking (8 hrs.), standing (8 hrs.),
Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician - Urologist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly