Physician - Nephrology
A nephrologist is an internist who treats disorders of the kidney, both chronic and acute, disorders of high blood pressure, fluid, electrolyte and mineral balance and manages complications of kidney failure necessitating dialysis when the kidneys do not function. This specialist consults with surgeons about vascular and peritoneal cavity access for dialysis as well as kidney transplantation.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Direct patient care in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Provide diagnosis and treatment of diseases to adult patients presenting with illnesses and injuries relating to kidney conditions that are applicable to his/her practice, training, experience or current competence.
- Provide treatment of general medical disease and disorders in an outpatient setting, provide consultation services in an inpatient setting or emergent need.
- Perform minor procedures per credentialing and privileging approvals.
- Order routine diagnostic imaging studies and labs.
- Participate actively in performance improvement and attend assigned meetings or process action teams. Work collaboratively with other specialties.
- Follow VA directives and polices and maintains current in Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Possess computer skills to access and input typed data on each patient into the computerized patient record system (CPRS).
- Maintain license to practice medicine in a state, territory or commonwealth of the United States or in the District of Columbia. Required to possess full and unrestricted licensure and to maintain current registration.
- Outpatient clinic may be held at the West Campus, Montgomery, Alabama and/or the East Campus, Tuskegee, AL and provide consultation services to all other VA clinics under Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS) catchment.
- Provides direct clinical supervision of advanced practice nurses or physician assistants and other staff as appropriate.
- Establishes professional working relationships with other clinical service providers within the medical center and outlying clinics, provide telephone and e-consult consultations as needed
- Cooperates with and participate in medical duties or functions related to quality of care, peer review and with other performance improvement activities as directed.
- Provides prescribed medical treatment and personal care services to veterans in need of Nephrology services.
- Documents observations, assessments, and changes in patient's condition; collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes.
- Attend mandatory trainings, such as, Talent Management System (TMS), VA Voices, Own the Moment, and comply with CME requirements in the specialty of Nephrology timely.
- Must be aware and compliant of VA Strategic Analytics for Improvement and Learning (SAIL) metrics and VA Performance Measures.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed by the supervisor or Chief of Staff.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Travel Required: Not required
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: 15
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical OfficerSimilar jobs General InternistsInternists, GeneralPhysicians, All Other
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing; clear, distinctive speech; and manual dexterity. The position requires potentially long periods of continued sitting, telephone and computer usage, walking, standing, stooping, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring of equipment/objects may be required.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician - Nephrology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly