Rare Full-time Pathologist Opporutntiy Sacramento VA Medical Center VA Northern California HCS
Sacramento, California is one of the most historic cities in California. Located at the confluence of the Sacramento River and American River, two hours between both San Francisco and Lake Tahoe, at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains with access to exceptional wine in Napa and Sonoma. Known as America's Farm-to-Fork Capital, recognized for its cutting-edge cuisine, farm-fresh restaurants, and plentiful farmers' markets. Sacramento has many cultural and artistic events, live music, dining and the NBA's Sacramento Kings.
Whether you re interested in academics, research, or a better work/life balance, you ll find the VA has a lot to offer, including the unmatched satisfaction you ll get from caring for those who have served our country.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Application of accepted criteria in formulating and reporting diagnostic information on various anatomic pathology specimens to include surgical pathology, cytopathology and autopsy pathology.
- Provide clinical laboratory consultation to technical personnel and healthcare providers.
- Participate in a high complexity laboratory, in compliance with all VA Central Office, College of American Pathology, and CLIA requirements, AABB, FDA and other agencies as required.
- Participation in Quality Assurance measures for laboratory sections as required by accreditation agencies.
- Teaching of residents, medical students, and other healthcare personnel who seek training within the field of Pathology.
- Support of the research mission of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- The pathologist is ultimately responsible for diagnostic interpretation of specimens processed within the laboratory.
- The pathologist will provide staff and/or trainees information on specimen processing and evaluation.
- Perform and Review gross specimen examination
- Processing and interpretation of intraoperative frozen sections.
- Provide intraoperative and intraprocedural consultations as requested.
- Interpretation/sign-out of surgical pathology, cytopathology specimens, including PAP smears.
- Ordering/interpretation of appropriate immunohistochemical stains and special stains, molecular and genetics tests as required to ensure accurate diagnosis and provide prognostic/therapeutic information.
- Responsible for evaluating and interpretation flow cytometry, lymph nodes submitted for hematopoietic neoplasms and bone marrows. (desired but not required)
- Participation in multi-disciplinary conferences such as Tumor Board, Endocrine, GI and Morbidity and Mortality Conference.
- Review appropriate clinical history/medical record when responsible for autopsy coverage and discuss with clinical team ensuring appropriate consent documentation before proceeding with autopsy.
- Perform/supervise autopsy.
- Issue preliminary autopsy findings within 48 hours of autopsy.
- Issue completed autopsy report with clinicopathologic correlation within 30 days of autopsy.
- Participate in Quality Assurance measures including 10% retrospective review of all anatomic pathology cases and inter-laboratory comparison programs as designated by Chief, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.
- Participate in Non-GYN Cytopathology Proficiency tests as required by service obligations.
- Provide 24 hour on-call services as designated in the monthly schedule (shared call schedule with other pathologists)
- Direct/participate in a high complexity laboratory, with responsibility for daily, weekly, and monthly quality monitors as delegated by Chief PLM.
- Select/evaluate new tests for laboratory section test menus as assigned.
- Assist as needed in preparing the lab for accreditation inspections.
- Offer consultation to other pathologists (intra-departmental consultations) for testing strategies and interpretation of results.
- Participate in required continuing medical education (CME) to maintain licensure/privileges.
- Responsible for timely completion of VA assigned TMS educational modules.
- Support the educational and research mission of the VA, at a minimum through excellence in teaching.
Work Schedule: Tour of duty is standard daylight hours, Monday through Friday; however, weekend and evening hours may occur with on call rotating weekend and holiday coverage.
Candidates Must Be: US Citizen, Board Eligible or Certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology and have current, active, unrestricted medical license in any State. Preferred experience: Candidate should have current up-to-date knowledge in the Pathology field.
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) available and offers up to $200,000 over 5-years, tax-free
Apply for Rare Full-time Pathologist Opporutntiy Sacramento VA Medical Center VA Northern California HCS
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly