Clinical Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine
Clinical Chair, Department of Emergency Medicine
Oceanside, LI, NY. Mount Sinai South Nassau, invites applications/nominations for a creative, dynamic physician leader for the role of Chair for the Department of Emergency Medicine to serve the healthcare needs of the south shore communities of Long Island. The Hospital operates 2 Emergency Departments, one hospital-based and the other is Long Island’s First Free-standing Emergency Department located in Long Beach, NY. Combined annual visits total over 70,000.
Reporting to the President & CEO and the Executive Vice President for Clinical and Professional Affairs & Chief Medical Officer of the Hospital, the Department Clinical Chair of Emergency Medicine is responsible for providing leadership and management for the emergency department. The Chair works collaboratively with members of the medical staff, as well as nursing leadership, to provide emergency services for all patients who present to our emergency departments. In conjunction with the heads of diagnostic and therapeutic departments, the Chair works to ensure availability, quality & effective use of emergency services. The Chair also works cooperatively and supportively with administration of the Hospital, both voluntary and employed Physician partners to ensure that the needs of the hospital, and the patients are met. The Chair monitors community needs and provides oversight into the EMS system and disaster planning.
Our emergency room physicians are Board-certified and residency-trained in the specialized field of emergency medicine; our nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants all have special training in emergency care, as well. With this dedicated team, we offer a broad range of important, specialized emergency services to our communities, including:
- Level II Trauma Center
- NYS Designated Stroke Center
- NYS Designated STEMI Center
- The only Free-Standing ED on Long Island
The Chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine is responsible for the strategic development and the day-to-day operations of the department across Mount Sinai South Nassau’s two locations. Working with Administrative leadership, the Chair develops a strategic vision for the Department and faculty, implementing programs and other initiatives that align with the mission and goals of Mount Sinai South Nassau.
- Provides oversight to and ensures the quality of patient care delivered by the department’s clinical staff with privileges. Promptly responds to patient complaints.
- Promotes, communicates, monitors a culture of patient safety throughout the department
- Recruits, supervises the department’s clinical staff with privileges and other direct reports. Supervision includes mentoring and development, retention, employee satisfaction, credentialing, performance management, ensuring compliance with regulatory and Hospital standards, policies and procedures
- Establishes and evaluates clinical, administrative, research and teaching performance standards for clinical staff
- Ensures that space, equipment and personnel resources are sufficient to meet the department’s clinical and educational requirements
- Develops staffing and succession plans that are responsive to market influences
- Provides direct patient care as an attending physician; collaborates with administrative, nursing and allied health staff
- Develops departmental policies/procedures & department operating & capital budgets
- Prepares and submits regular performance and/or status reports as required to the Hospital’s Board of Directors, Executive Management and Medical Staff committees
- Conducts/ensures documentation of regular department staff meetings
- MD or DO degree
- Completion of an accredited Emergency Medicine Residency program
- Board Certified by ABEM or ABOEM
- Licensed for practice of medicine in the State of New York
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a practicing emergency physician with a Track record of leadership roles in an academic medical center
- New York and Federal controlled substance license or eligibility to obtain license prior to hire date
- Must be a member in professional societies relevant to the Department.
Mount Sinai South Nassau offers a competitive salary and benefits package with comprehensive insurance package, and retirement plan benefits. Located in beautiful Nassau County, LI, we offer a short commute to NYC and major NY airports, as well as world-famous golf and beaches and over 60 award-winning vineyards. Academic rank will be commensurate with experience and the requirements of the Icahn School of Medicine at The Mount Sinai Health System
Please submit an online application and the required applicant documents including:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of 3 Potential Professional References (noting contact information)
Please apply at https://pm.healthcaresource.com/cs/southnassau/#/job/18770
Mount Sinai South Nassau is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or marital status. EOE M/F/D/V