Emergency Medicine Physician (Nocturnist), Salem, VA, VA Medical Center
Emergency Medicine Physician (Nocturnist)
Salem, VA, VA Medical Center
This position is for an Emergency Department Nocturnist. The physician is directly responsible to the Chief of Emergency Department and accountable for the provision of direct patient care and for the delivery of quality care to a culturally diverse Veteran population with complex needs.
Provides guidance and support to the nurse practitioners and physician assistants assigned to Medical Service.
Provides quality patient-centered patient care to presenting adults age 18-65 and older adults age 65+ as assigned by Chief, Medical Service; stabilizes presenting patients under the age of 18 as required prior to transfer to an appropriate site of care.
Provides guidance and supervision for the medical students and residents (interns, residents, and/or fellows) as required.
Demonstrate sound decision-making skills, both clinical and administrative, which bring credit to the profession and serve to enhance the distinctive and contributory role of Physicians.
Participates in various facility programs designed to enhance and improve the delivery of patient care services, such as Quality Assurance & Management; chart reviews; ED performance measure reviews; and the like.
Demonstrates commitment to high quality customer service, including specific measures identified as performance goals by the Medical Center.
Participates as a peer reviewer process when requested.
Annually develops and evaluates professional and personal goals.
Facilitate the delivery of appropriate patient care in collaboration with other health professionals, medical center staff, and management.
Identifies individual professional learning needs and participates in formal programs, workshops, seminars, conferences, as well as self-directed learning activities, completes facility wide mandatory education yearly.
Order and interpret appropriate diagnostic tests necessary to complete the ED evaluation.
Admit patients to the hospital after consultation with the appropriate service physician or discharge them from the ED with appropriate follow-up.
Stabilize all critically ill or injured patients.
Coordinate patient care with consultants as deemed appropriate.
Supports the safety, occupational health, and fire protection program by the application of approved standards, regulations, practices, and work methods.
Work Schedule: 1) This is a nocturnist position, 2) In a semi-rural region of Virginia, 3) 80 hours M-F every 2 weeks, 4) Some Call is required on weekends
- Competitive salary and annual performance bonus!
- Guaranteed salary increases!
- Full benefits (see below)
- Licensure: 1 Full and unrestricted license from any US State is permissible to work at these facilities
- CME benefits
- Malpractice: free liability protection with tail coverage provided
- No physician employment contracts!
Whether you're interested in academics, research, or a better work/life balance, you'll find the VA has a lot to offer, including the unmatched satisfaction you'll get from caring for those who have served our country. In addition to competitive pay and liability protection, the VA also offers a robust benefits plan that includes:
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 Days paid sick leave per year with unlimited carry over! Unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays with pay
- Possible 5 Days paid Authorized Absence to attend CME
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-FRAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees hired after January 1, 2014 automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee's salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee's salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2016, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $18,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $24,000
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years' service
US AIR FORCE, VETERAN
National Recruitment Consultant
National Recruitment Service (10A2A7)
Human Capital Management (10A2A4)
Workforce Management and Consulting (10A2A)
Veterans Health Administration
US Department of Veterans Affairs
Office/Cell Phone: 615-854-1540
Apply for Emergency Medicine Physician (Nocturnist), Salem, VA, VA Medical Center
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly