Physician (Anesthesiology - Intermittent)
The successful applicant would be required to perform solo anesthesia for outpatient procedures including upper and lower endoscopies, cataract surgeries (some under general anesthesia), minor orthopedic surgeries (some with Bier block), general surgery procedures (umbilical and inguinal hernia) using general or MAC anesthesia, etc. All patients undergoing routine surgeries are being tested for COVID-19 infections, and if positive, will have the surgery postponed until testing negative.
Work Schedule:Intermittent. Please note - The majority of the schedule will be known with several weeks advance notice. Shorter times to requests will only be needed to be filled if the candidate is available.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- For foreign medical graduates facility officials must verify with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Moderate lifting, 15-44 lbs., light lifting, under 15 lbs., moderate carrying, 15-44lbs., reaching above shoulders, use of fingers, both hands required, walking, standing, both legs required, ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination, both eyes required with near and far vision, depth perception, ability to distinguish basic colors, hearing and mental and emotional stability. You will be working closing with others, or alone. Physician may work protracted or irregular hours of work.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Anesthesiology - Intermittent)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly