- Maintains professional, technical, and administrative knowledge, competencies, and skills to provide effective, timely and quality responses to patients clinical needs and problems
- Is responsible for all patients on the Medicine Service, and medical needs of patients on the surgical and behavioral health services
- Maintains high clinical standards that are carried into decision-making processes and works collaboratively with housestaff who provide coverage to teaching patients on the Hospitalist service
- Provides overnight medical inpatient clinical care to the patients on the Hospitalist services and General Psychiatry. This includes all overnight admissions to the Medical Service
and to Psychiatry, the latter involving consultation with the on-call Psychiatrist as necessary
- Admits patients to the inpatient and psychiatric units, consulting with the Psychiatrist on call for any complex psychiatric cases
- Providing orientation to Medical Officer of the Day
- Facilitating continuum of care for patients on an overnight basis
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
This vacancy will be reviewed every two weeks, and applicants will be referred to the hiring manager as they are received. This announcement may be closed prior to close date if a selection has been made.Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship:Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Language: Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Education:Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- License:Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Residency:Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Board Certification:Physicians are generally not required to be board certified for employment in VA; however, three circumstances in VA require physician board certification:
- (1) If the position being filled is required to be a supervisor for medical students or physician residents (including fellows), the LCME, ACGME or AOA standards requiring a particular board certification credential will apply.
- (2) If the position being filled will have faculty status with an affiliated medical school (for example, in joint recruitments with affiliated medical schools), then a medical school requirement for board certification will apply to the jointly recruited position.
- (3) If the position being filled is required to be board certified by virtue of specific VHA policy (for example, as director of a cardiac catheterization laboratory or Director of Clinical
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Physical Requirements:The physician should be physically and mentally capable to perform the duties of the position. Physical activities include sitting, standing (up to 2 hours) walking (up to 2 hours), heavy lifting (45 pounds or over), reaching above the shoulder, and repeated bending.Education
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): AuthorizedThis position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program. To participate in the program, you must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA policy 1021 and submit your application within four months of appointment. The final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Nocturnist)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly