Physician - Gastroenterology
This vacancy is for a part-time position 20 hours per week. The Work Schedule will be: Monday - Friday between 8:00am - 4:30pm. Inpatient duties may require the incumbent to be present during irregular and off-tours.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician - Gastroenterologist
Position functions in Gastroenterology where you will be expected to provide coverage to treat, release, admit or transfer patients. Inpatient duties may require incumbent to be present during irregular and off-tours. Board certification Internal Medicine. Duties may include but not limited to:
- Outpatient examinations, provides consultation service related to gastroenterology to the medical staff,
- admits and manages inpatients with various gastrointestinal diseases,
- oversees the administration of conscious sedation,
- performs GI procedures including: EGD (gastroscopy)
- Paracentesis, EGD with Peg Esophageal manometry,
- Colonoscopy, 24 hr pH monitor,
- attends Gastroenterology team meetings,
- attends Medical Service staff meetings and meetings of the Medical/Dental staff, serves on medical staff committees,
- participates in quality assurance programs and chart review,
- ensures communication with incoming evening Hospitalist regarding patient care issues,
- completes medical records including: history and physical exams within 24 hours of admission,
- progress notes daily for inpatients and for each encounter on outpatients,
- consult notes within 24 hours of evaluating patient,
- discharge summaries within 10 days of hospital discharge, new or renewal of prescriptions,
- transfer summaries and/or discharge instructions,
- ACLS/BLS and out of OR airway certification preferred.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.Supervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Moderate lifting(up to35 lbs) ; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; walking (3 hours per day); standing (6 hours per day); kneeling (2 hours per day); both legs required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; far vision correctible in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted).Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician - Gastroenterology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly