Physician - Medical Officer of the Day (Fee Basis)
Medical Officer of the Day (MOD) is the designated responsible physician, who is physically present in the facility, during periods when the regular medical staff is not available or if additional staff is needed especially during emergency or in any form of disaster or crisis. These periods generally include after hours (evenings and nights), weekends, and holidays, but coverage may be required during administrative hours or in other selected circumstances. Within the scope of their credentials and privileges, MOD are responsible for caring for new and existing patients in Urgent Care and in the CLC and Palliative Care Units during other than normal duty hours, or during administrative hours, when the regular medical staff are not available or on duty.
MOD must ensure complete availability during their tour of duty. The MOD must not leave the facility grounds during the assigned shift without the permission of the COS, COM, or designee, at which time another physician that is on-site will be designated the MOD.
The MOD may not provide routine coverage for patients for which they do not have the appropriate credentials and privileges. MOD must comply with accreditation standards. However, the MOD may evaluate any patient in an emergent situation to determine whether further specialty care is necessary. MOD may be asked to perform additional clinical duties not requiring physical presence in the Medical Center at the discretion of the Chief of Medicine and at the approval of the Chief of Staff and Medical Center Director
Work Schedule:Varied Shift (Days, Afternoons, Nights) May be required to work Holidays and Weekends.
Compressed/Flexible Schedule:Not Available
Virtual:This is not a virtual position.
Functional Statement Title:Physician (MOD)
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives:Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship.Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education.Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in allopathic medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from an institution whose accreditation was in place for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
- Schools of medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the year in which the degree was granted,
- Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) of the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted.
- For foreign medical graduates not covered in (1) or (2) above, facility officials must verify with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant
- Licensure and Registration.Physicians must possess a current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
- Residency Training.Physicians must have completed residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA Physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.) Approved residencies are:
- Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA), in the list published for the year the residency was completed,
- Other residencies or their equivalents which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training.
- English Language Proficiency.Physicians appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
Physical Requirements:Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 25 pounds of force frequently to move objects. This could include moving objects such as pieces of equipment and assistance in moving clients.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician - Medical Officer of the Day (Fee Basis)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly