Physician (Chief of Staff) Detail
Leads clinical staff to achieve facility missions and goals; Accountable to the Medical Center Director for the coordination of clinical activities, clinical staff and administrative oversight; Ensures medical staff compliance with agency regulations, bylaws, facility policies, Joint Commission (JC) standards, and other appropriate regulations; spends portion of time providing clinical services to Veterans; serves as a professional liaison to other VAMCs and Federal facilities, the community, affiliates, media, congressional offices and constituent organizations; provides patient educational activity and administrative planning and evaluation based on integration and application of knowledge; maintains and promotes high ethical and clinical standards that are carried into decision-making processes; works with triad to ensure facility programs reflect the mission and priorities of VHA; evaluates current and potential patient population needs, clinical workload and resources, special program mandates and cost/benefit analysis; represents the organization, internally and externally, in such a manner as to reflect positively on the facility and VA; accomplishes clinical program goals consistent with available resources and modify programs to meet the needs of the Veteran population; demonstrates commitment to achieving EEO goals and objectives; promotes effective personnel management; creates an environment of quality improvement which programs and quality of care standards are evaluated; integrates the needs of affiliation relationship with patient care needs; and evaluates all teaching programs.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Will be required to respond to calls for urgent patient needs after hours and on weekends.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to occasional travel to/from the CBOCs and to other VISN 15 facilities required.Supervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:This position requires a pre-employment physical. Requires lifting 15-44 pounds; pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and kneeling. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4. Far visions correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Chief of Staff) Detail
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly