Physician ACOS Geriatrics/Extended Care
The John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) is seeking an academically-oriented, full-time physician to serve as Associate Chief of Staff for Geriatrics and Extended Care (ACOS GEC), reporting directly to the Chief of Staff.The John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) is seeking an academically-oriented, full-time physician to serve as Associate Chief of Staff for Geriatrics and Extended Care (ACOS GEC), reporting directly to the Chief of Staff. The ACOS GEC has senior leadership responsibility for all clinical and administrative operations of the Geriatrics and Extended Care Service and for the supervision and evaluation of service personnel. The GEC Service includes 65 FTE spread across a wide array of services: an 84-bed 5-star nursing home care unit consisting of Long-Term Care, Short-Stay Skilled, and CARF-certified Rehabilitation and Hospice services; outpatient clinics; PT/OT; audiology/speech pathology; recreation; art therapy; Fitness Center; Battlefield Acupuncture; Hospice/Palliative Care; Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; Pain University; Aquatics; and Amputee System of Care.
Work Schedule:8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Financial Discloser Report:Not required
This position may be eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program within VHA. If selected for this position you must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VHA policy 1021 and apply for EDRP within four (4) months of appointment. Final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office.Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 11/20/2020.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
The ability to motivate, develop, and coach medical staff as part of multidisciplinary teams and service lines to achieve quality outcomes, optimize clinic capacity and resource utilization, and maximize efficiency to meet required performance measures is essential. The ACOS GEC will be expected to practice within their specialty (including telehealth programs), foster a supportive teaching environment, and develop clinical research programs. .
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Heavy lifting and carrying (45+ lbs); As needed -Straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, pushing and reaching above shoulders, walking, standing, crawling, kneeling, repeated bending, climbing using both legs and arms; use of fingers and both hands required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13'-16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; depth perception; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); working closely with others; working alone; protracted or irregular hours of work.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Education and length of practice will be considered through a formal pay-setting process in determining the final compensable salary (Base Pay + Market Pay).
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician ACOS Geriatrics/Extended Care
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly