Physician (Emergency Department)
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- evaluation and treatment of the following body systems: skin, eye, ear, nose, throat, cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, urologic, reproductive, nervous, endocrine, musculoskeletal and hematology
- initial and ongoing assessment of patient's medical, physical and psychosocial status
- obtain and document a comprehensive medical and psychological history and physical examination
- order appropriate diagnostic tests
- review and interpret laboratory and take appropriate action
- formulates and record diagnostic impressions
- refer patients to consultations with specialty clinics
- provide medical advice to patients, families and community health providers by telephone
- manage chronic medical problems with acute exacerbations
- document patient care in the electronic health record within the prescribed time limits
- enter orders into CPRS for medications, consults, testing, etc.
- demonstrates current clinical practice
- attends Medical Center and community meetings, seminars, conferences
- follow the process established by the Section Chief of ED, guidelines, MCM and policies of VHA
- Other duties as assigned
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive:May be authorized for highly qualified candidates.
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): AuthorizedThis position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program.Travel Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.Supervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:The work requires some physical exertion including periods of walking, standing, regular and recurring bending, stooping, lifting heavy objects such as assisting patients on and off examination tables.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Emergency Department)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly