Physician (Orthopedic Surgeon)
The VA Northeast Ohio Healthcare System, a teaching affiliate of Case Western Reserve University, is recruiting for a full-time Orthopedic Surgeon.
Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Performing Orthopedic Surgery (Arthroscopy/Sports Medicine, Shoulder Surgery, and Total Joint Replacements).
- Providing pre-operative and post-operative outpatient care.
- Providing inpatient consultation and management.
- Participating in resident teaching.
Pay:Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases.
Education and length of practice will be considered through a formal pay-setting process in determining the final compensable salary (Base Pay + Market Pay).
Paid Time Off:49-54 days paid time off per year (26 days annual leave, 13 days' sick leave, 10 federal holidays).
Retirement:Traditional federal pension (5 years' vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA.
Incentives:Possible student loan repayment up to $200K for eligible debt through the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP).
Insurance:Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement).
Licensure:1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory.
CME:Possible $1,000 per year stipend + possible 1 week paid authorized absence to attend.
Malpractice:Free liability protection with tail coverage provided.
Contract:No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting.
Take a look at VA'sTop 20 Reasons Doctors Enjoy Working at VAandVHA Physician's Brochure
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Two years of experience due to the high degree of complex orthopedic cases.
- Board certified or eligible in orthopedic surgery.
- Fellowship training in orthopedics with an interest or experience in Total Joints, Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy, and/or Shoulder Surgery.
Physical Requirements:The Physical Requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Orthopedic Surgeon)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly