Clinical Chair, Department of Anesthesia
The NorthShore Department of Anesthesia plays a central role in the organizations’ mission to “Preserve and Improve Human Life” and in the execution of NorthShore’s vision. The Department of Anesthesia at NorthShore University HealthSystem provides superior anesthesia services to meet the medical care and pain relief needs of patients, using a highly collaborative Anesthesia Care Team (ACT) Model. The ACT model characterizes the department’s broad-based practice that focuses always on optimizing the care and comfort of patients. Anesthesia care is delivered in a dynamic environment that promotes professional growth and development of the entire clinical team, from anesthesiologists to CRNAs to SRNAs and residents.
POSITION OVERVIEW AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chair, Department of Anesthesia is responsible for the effective administration as well as the strategic growth and development of the department. The Chair will be someone with great passion and enthusiasm for delivering the highest quality of care and will work tirelessly to advance the Department of Anesthesia as well as NorthShore as a whole, to the next level of excellence. While developing strong trusting relationships within the department and more broadly throughout the NorthShore Medical Group, it is also essential that the Chair build strong relationships with NorthShore’s many independent affiliated physicians as well. The Chair will recruit and retain world class clinicians and will help develop/mentor future physician leaders. Further, the Chair fully supports the mission, vision, values, strategies and goals of the NorthShore University HealthSystem. The successful candidate will:
- Be a master clinician with an impeccable clinical reputation (the new Chair will continue to practice on a limited basis)
- Be an experienced physician executive, ideally as a Chair, Vice Chair, or a Division Chief of a division of significant size with proven success in management of operations and effective administrative leadership
- Have a proven track record of program growth / development of clinical services
- Have demonstrated supervision of, or independent success of research activity
- Be well-respected in the academic/teaching community
- Be highly collaborative and team-oriented
- Outstanding leadership skills – someone who can build consensus and esprit de corps, but also someone who can hold people accountable and have crucial conversations when needed in order to advance department and system-wide goals.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Unwavering integrity
- Commitment to delivery of high-quality and compassionate care to all members of the community.
- Consistently demonstrate a proactive approach to leadership, including an open communication style, the ability to be direct, transparent and honest while exercising strong decisiveness and results orientation.
- Effectively incorporates knowledge of the business side of medicine and experience providing a growth mentality and financial oversight to all relevant department responsibilities.
- Demonstrated comfort with transformation to achieve sustainable improvements in quality and business performance metrics.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and influence skills, enabling effective relationships with community physicians, nursing and other medical / surgical services, and hospital administration.
- Able to function in both an academic and community setting.
- Possesses strong clinical, teaching and research acumen.
- Strategic and innovative leader able to formulate philosophy, goals and ability to grow and develop clinical programs aligned with the system objectives.
- Monitors and acts to continuously improve the quality, efficiency and productivity of the department and fosters creative, innovative problem solving.
- Strong business acumen, understands the financial aspects of running a complex department and has experience in budget control and other management techniques.
- Ability to work and manage successfully in a complex matrixed organization.
- Demonstrated skill in recruiting, retaining and developing physician leaders, including setting performance expectations, safe workplace practices and development of programs that promote, shared responsibility, accountability, engagement and resiliency.
- Acts on behalf of customers, both internal and external, and takes personal responsibility for customer loyalty.
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with the mission, vision and values of NorthShore University HealthSystem.
The Chair, Department of Anesthesia will possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- Graduate of nationally accredited and recognized medical school
- Board certification in area of expertise
- Eligible for medical licensing in the State of Illinois
- Minimum five (5) years of administrative experience as a Chair, Vice Chair, or Division Chief or similar position
- MBA or other similar advanced degree preferred
Apply for Clinical Chair, Department of Anesthesia
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly