Manager, Occupational Medicine Clinic and Chief Medical Officer
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.Organizational Overview
The mission of BNL’s Occupational Medicine Clinic (OMC) is to provide comprehensive occupational medicine services to BNL and its employees to assure a healthy workforce fit to safely and effectively perform work in support of BNL’s critical research mission for the nation and the world. This is achieved through compliance with all applicable health and safety standards, and through an emphasis on wellness and prevention, as well as the optimal management and rehabilitation of injured employees including absence management. Our dedicated staff strives to maintain excellent standards of care while addressing the occupational and environmental health concerns of BNL workers and management.Position Description
The Human Resources/Occupational Medicine Division has an opening for Manager, Occupational Medicine Clinic to lead BNL’s Occupational Medicine Clinic (OMC), a full service in-house occupational medicine clinic with a diverse staff of 13 (plus per diem nurses), including physicians, a nurse practitioner, staff nurses, an exercise physiologist, phlebotomists/lab technicians and administrative support.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall leadership and direction of BNL’s occupational medicine program, including program development, administration, creation and management of policies, procedures and management of personnel resources
- Serve as BNL’s Chief Medical Officer and Medical Subject Matter Expert for health and safety issues.
- Manage BNL’s Employee wellness program, and oversight of BNL’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) contractor
- Manage BNL’s Absence Management and Injury Management programs
- In accordance with the protocols established for both the Emergency Medical Service for the fire service and the Protective Forces for the police group at BNL, acts as cognizant physician to ensure compliance with all their program requirements.
- Member of BNL’s Institutional Biosafety Committee
- Preceptor, Stony Brook Preventive Medicine residents for their BNL field occupational medicine placement
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- M.D. or D.O., degree from an accredited medical school or college of osteopathy
- Current active, or be able to obtain, a NY State Medical License in good standing
- Board Certification or Board Eligibility in Occupational Medicine
- At least 15 years’ experience in the field of Medicine which must include a minimum of 5 years in Occupational Medicine
- A minimum of five (5) years demonstrated leadership successfully supervising medical, health and safety personnel in a healthcare or occupational medicine clinic setting.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience working for the U.S. Dept. of Energy, other Federal agency or a branch of the military, or for a contractor to same; thorough knowledge of the medical aspects of Federal health and safety regulations.
- Occupational medicine experience working in a research, academic or industrial setting
- Current Medical Review Officer certification
- Experience managing or participating in drug and alcohol testing programs
- Experience treating and managing occupational injuries
- Experience with absence and disability management
- Current U.S. Dept. of Transportation certification as a Medical Examiner
- Emergency planning experience and/or work as physician for a fire or EMT service, and with security personnel (police or military).
- Recent medical management of pandemic (e.g. COVID-19) for an employee population in an occupational medicine setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills; success and experience working in interdisciplinary teams
- Experience developing, managing or participating in a workplace wellness program
- Strong clinical skills in adult medicine, occupational medicine and preventive medicine.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to wear a respirator
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file
Apply for Manager, Occupational Medicine Clinic and Chief Medical Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly