Physician (Emergency Department)
*A Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be offered.*
*The closing date of this announcement has been extended to Tuesday, September 15, 2020.*
The Physician position is located in our Emergency Department, organizationally aligned under the Primary Care Service, at the VA Central California Healthcare System (VACCHCS), Fresno, CA.VACCHCS provides a full range of patient care services, as well as education and research. Comprehensive health care is provided through primary, secondary, and long-term care in the areas of primary care, specialty medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and extended care. VACCHCS is affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Fresno Medical Education Program and provides a rich academic environment including postgraduate medical education training for residents and fellows in specialties and sub-specialties.
VACCHCS is looking for a board eligible/board certified physician in our Emergency Department. The candidate will provide a full range of emergency care in the Emergency Department for Veterans at the VACCHCS main hospital in Fresno, CA. Applicants should have completed a residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education or American Osteopathic Association. Preferred experience for this position is a candidate who is residency trained and board-certified in Emergency or Internal Medicine and fulfills the qualifications for a faculty appointment at UCSF. In addition, it is preferred the candidate have teaching experience in the acute and ambulatory setting.
Work Schedule:Full-time, Flexible shift work to include days and nights; some weekend/holiday coverage required (specifics can be discussed during interview or upon selection).
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
PCS/Relocation Allowances:Not authorized
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive:May be authorized
Position Title / PD#:Physician, Title 38 - covered by a functional statement.Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical OfficerSimilar jobs Internal Medicine PhysiciansPhysicians, All OtherPhysicians, Internal Medicine
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Residency trained and board-eligible/certified in Emergency Medicine or Internal Medicine.
- Teaching experience in the acute ambulatory setting.
- Meet requirements for academic appointment with UCSF.
Physical Requirements:Moderate-light lifting (0-44 lbs), Light carrying (under 15 lbs), Pushing (1 hour), Reaching above shoulder, Use of fingers, Walking (8 hours), Standing (2 hours), Kneeling (.5 hours), Repeated bending (5 hours), Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously, Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other, Both eyes required, Depth perception, Ability to distinguish basic colors, Ability to distinguish shades of color, Hearing (aid permitted), Emotional/Mental stability.Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Emergency Department)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly