St. Peter’s Health Partners (SPHP), a leading integrated regional health system, seeks a dynamic physician executive to join the organization as CMO for St. Peter’s Health Partners Medical Associates (SPHPMA). In this key role, the CMO will provide medical leadership for SPHP’s large, market leading multi-specialty medical group, and serve as a key member of the SPHPMA senior leadership team. St. Peter’s Health Partners Medical Associates has a total of over 800 providers and an annual operating budget of over $120 million.
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) is the senior physician leader for St. Peter’s Health Partners Medical Associates (SPHPMA). The CMO will partner closely with the SPHPMA President and SPHP executives in the implementation of SPHP’s overall provider strategy. The CMO will serve as the physician leader on the SPHPMA senior leadership team, supporting SPHPMA as a key driver in SPHP’s transition into a regional, fully integrated healthcare system nationally recognized for superior patient outcomes, access to care, and operational efficiency.
The CMO will be a highly-visible executive who will work closely with the President, other members of the senior leadership team, and physician leaders to develop and reinforce an organizational culture which is based on transparency, oriented to primary care, and encourages a high level of engagement from providers to meet clinical and operational milestones centered on quality and financial performance.
The CMO will play a key role in leading SPHPMA’s transition from a fee-for-service reimbursement delivery model to a value-based model that rewards exceptional clinical care, service and cost effectiveness. This role also collaborates with the leadership of IHANY, SPHP’s affiliated ACO, in the continuing development of its clinically integrated network.
The CMO role is responsible for:
- Medical Leadership
- Quality, Safety, and Clinical Operations
- Strategy and Development
- Medical Staff Affairs
- Financial Management
- Other Duties & Responsibilities
During the first twelve months, the CMO will be expected to:
- Build professional and leadership credibility and trust with SPHPMA physicians, administrative leadership, and staff, the SPHP leadership team, and the broader medical community. Develop effective relationships based on clear communication, active listening, and follow-through with all key stakeholders.
- In collaboration with the SPHPMA administrative leadership team, SPHPMA Executive Committee and Board, and Joint Operating Committees, identify and pursue opportunities to effectively leverage resources to maintain access and patient satisfaction, and improve quality of care while controlling or reducing cost.
- Provide sponsorship and executive level leadership for the successful implementation and adoption of the EPIC EHR across SPHPMA.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the Capital Region healthcare market and medical community, including admitting, referral, and practice patterns.
- Partnering with the SPHPMA President, Board, and Joint Operating Committees.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, confident, and engaging physician leader and will demonstrate strong advocacy for provider-led integrated primary and specialty care. The ideal candidate possesses strong strategic and critical-thinking skills, as well as an ability to effectively prioritize and manage resources. In addition, he/she will specifically possess:
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Medical Degree (MD or DO) with Board Certification required.
- Post Graduate Business Degree and/or Healthcare Degree (MBA, MMM, MHA, or MPH is a plus.
- A minimum of 10 years of post-graduate experience in a clinical practice.
- Five or more years of experience in a notable medical staff or physician leadership role within a medical group or ambulatory care setting.
- Prior experience/involvement with a risk-sharing environment – managed care, clinically integrated network, or ACO is preferred.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in leading clinical quality and safety performance improvement initiatives.
- Prior experience with advanced clinical information systems, including EMR and CPOE. Understands how to leverage the electronic medical record for quality and safety improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage clinical, operational, and financial data to motivate and direct improvement at the management and front-line levels.
- A solid grasp of physician enterprise and hospital finance, supporting the ability to effectively participate in strategic and business planning initiatives, including new program development and clinical services.
- Knowledge of physician employment contracts and compensation models.
This opportunity is unable to sponsor H-1B visa and J-1 waiver candidates.
St. Peter’s Health Partners Medical Associates, P.C. offers a comprehensive salary and compensation package that includes:
- Competitive base salary
- Excellent benefits; including health/vision/dental insurances
- Paid malpractice, including post-SPHP employment tail coverage
- CME time & expense allowance
- Paid time away from the practice
- Two-part retirement savings program with employer matching program
- Relocation assistance is available
- Starting bonus may be available
ABOUT THE FACILITY
St. Peter’s Health Partners Medical Associates, (SPHPMA) is one of the Capital Region’s largest multi-specialty physician groups with more than 350 physicians and advanced practitioners, in more than 80 practice locations. SPHPMA is a full affiliate corporation of St. Peter’s Health Partners – the region’s largest and most comprehensive not-for-profit network of high quality, advanced medical care, primary care, rehabilitation and senior services.
St. Peter’s Health Partners, the region’s largest private-sector employer, with more than 12,500 employees, has more than 125 locations across seven counties. St. Peter’s Health Partners was created on October 1, 2011 by the merger of Northeast Health, St. Peter’s Health Care Services, and Seton Health.
St. Peter's Hospital is the largest Catholic acute care community hospital in northeastern New York state. Located in Albany, New York, the hospital was founded in 1869 by the Religious Sisters of Mercy. A voluntary, not-for-profit community tertiary hospital, St. Peter’s provides 442 beds and has more than 900 staff physicians and nearly 6,000 employees.
Albany, New York – located in the heart of New York’s Capital District, is a medium sized area with an approximate population of 98,000, offering all the amenities of a larger urban area in a beautiful, scenic, and affordable setting.
Capital District, New York – includes the cities of Albany, Schenectady and Troy and the surrounding areas, including Clifton Park and Saratoga Springs.
To learn more about the Capital Region visit www.albany.org, www.albany.com, www.techvalley.com, www.renscochamber.com, www.visittroyny.com.
Apply for Administrative Opportunity
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly