Associate Medical Director
Associate Medical Director (Occupational Med)
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Associate Medical Director to join Battelle in Columbus, Ohio. This position reports to the Medical Director, Health Services and will manage the Health Services operation at the Columbus area campuses (King Ave and West Jefferson), requiring medical surveillance and emergency response for diverse research activities involving chemical agents (CA), biological select agents (BSAT), toxins and explosives. Managing these programs, training, and services, along with compliance activities for the three DOD Personnel Reliability Programs (PRP). You will also serve as a Subject Matter Expert for employee health related issues throughout the company.
We are looking for a strong collaborator who is an agile problem solver, a strategic thinker, and who demonstrates strong self-awareness. The position is accountable for enabling the executive and the team to accomplish Battelle’s strategic priorities. This role will work closely with the Medical Director, leadership team and the President and CEO to deliver high quality experiences for customers, VIP visitors and members of the Battelle Board.
- Manages, prepares, conducts and oversees medical surveillance programs in compliance with OSHA regulations, contract/Personnel Reliability Program/CDC requirements, and Battelle policy.
- Prepares for and responds to client or governmental medical audit programs.
- Designs and directs medical toxicology and emergency response training and drills for Health Services personnel and assigned research staff.
- Works with local hospitals and first responders. This is conducted in conjunction with Emergency Management and laboratory safety managers.
- Serves as subject matter expert for Battelle on the medical hazards, response and treatment related to chemical, biological, and explosive materials.
- Provides back-up assistance to Battelle’s main Columbus site in absence of the Medical Director and assists the Medical Director in working with site businesses and managers in providing sufficient medical support for site safety and health programs.
- Serves as Medical Review Officer for Battelle’s drug free workplace program.
- Develops and implements additional staff training and presentations as needed.
- Ability to guide and influence senior management and technical staff in areas of research and the Institutional Review Board process.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- MD/DO with 4 plus years of experience in Occupational or Environmental medicine.
- Current medical license or ability to obtain licensure for the state of Ohio.
- Demonstrated aptitude for the management of medical programs and emergency response activities related to chemical and biological hazards in a research or manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with managers, safety professionals and staff within organization.
- Willingness to be on call and or work nights and weekends as needed.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Vaccinations (provided).
- Strong communications skills. Ability to lead teams and function as a team member.
- Ability to function within a rapidly changing, high-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Experience conducting research or working with a research team in the design and execution of protocols with clinical samples.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with research hospitals.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED
- Occupational Medicine (Board certification) and Department of Transportation certified Medical Examiner for commercial drivers.
- Military experience a plus.
- Training and familiarity with DOD Personnel Reliability Programs.
- Data analytic skills.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.