Director - Medical Student Programs Opportunity
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System has an outstanding part time employment opportunity for a Director of Medical Student Programs to join a large health system located in southeast Michigan.
The selected provider will provide Medical Directorship services for the Medical Student Programs at St. Joseph Mercy Health System. Successful candidates will possess an M.D. or D.O., and a minimum of five years of clinical experience. Previous medical education experience is also required. Candidate should also demonstrate professional history of substantial scholarly activity with original research and case presentations/review articles, etc. In addition, candidate should have the aptitude and desire to encourage, guide, and promote scholarly activity (original and case review), commensurate with the level of training and demonstrates skills and expertise in medical education.
The Essential Functions and Responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the Academic Dean(s) or his/her designee of affiliated medical schools, establish and maintain a standard core curriculum with 3rd year medical students that meets or exceeds the needs of the LCME or that of the affiliated university.
- Establish and maintain a quality 4th year student elective clinical clerkship program that will educate and expose learners to various disciplines in medicine and the Hospital's post graduate residency programs.
- Develop and maintain written goals and learning objectives for each 3rd and 4th rotation.
- Maintain ongoing communication with affiliated medical schools and foster interest in 4th year elective student clinical clerkship program.
- Strive to attract the most qualified students for the SJMO hospital student rotations and enforce the minimum Step 1 USMLE scores and academic performance expectation for students interested in clinical clerkships at SJMO.
- Understand the student's personal and professional needs and provide effective mentoring and counseling.
- Ensure high quality learning experiences for all medical students participating in the clinical clerkship program at SJMO.
- Oversee the activities of each Clerkship Director and provides an annual written and verbal review. Regularly meet with each Student Program Director to review and adjust the curriculum as requirements change.
- Prepare a yearly budget for the undergraduate medical education program, including student program director stipends, clerkship expenses, lecture honoraria, clerkship stipends, etc.
- Oversee both oral and written examinations in each core specialty.
- Attend meetings with each affiliated medical school to review curriculum and implement necessary changes.
- Recruit qualified preceptors as needed. Provide appropriate orientation and faculty development prior to starting.
- Develop, maintain, and hold (teaches) faculty development courses and mini-courses/lectures for preceptors. Applies for CME per the Hospital process.
- Establishes an audit and monitoring system for student clinical documentation in the electronic health record for completeness and compliance. Validates that clinical documentation completed by a medical student has been reviewed and authenticated by the supervising physician. Manages the compliance of this program.
- Oversee the onboarding of all new students conducting one or more clerkships at SJMO. Develop, modify, organize, and conduct an orientation program for third and fourth year clerkship students.
An excellent competitive compensation and complete benefits package is being offered for the right candidate.
ABOUT THE FACILITY
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System (SJMHS) is one of the nation's top health care services providers, spanning 5 counties in Southeastern Michigan. With more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000 nurses and staff, Saint Joseph Mercy Health System includes 6 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health Centers, 8 Urgent Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty Centers.
St. Joseph Mercy Oakland - St. Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO), a member of Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, is a 443-bed comprehensive, community teaching hospital and regional tertiary facility located in Oakland County, Michigan. SJMO is a member of Trinity Health, one of the largest Catholic health care organizations in the United States.
A long-time leader in Oakland County, SJMO was founded in 1927 by the Sisters of Mercy. For more than 80 years, SJMO has been a technologically forward hospital that combines advanced medicine and personal care to assist patients on their path to wellness. With dedicated physicians, nurses and hospital staff committed to providing quality care throughout the patient stay, St. Joseph Mercy Oakland has truly personalized the patient experience. SJMO has won numerous local and national recognition for patient safety, quality and performance, and consistently ranks in the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide.
With a recent $54.5 million hospital renovation and expansion, SJMO has added an additional 120,000 square feet, housing a new emergency center, private patient tower, imaging center and retail pharmacy. SJMO provides a broad range of services including cardiology, orthopedics, women & children services, cancer care, and neurosciences. SJMO s staff and physicians are dedicated to providing excellence in patient care.
SJMO invites you to join its award-winning team, grow in a positive environment, and build a remarkable future with a leader in health care.
For more information about St. Joseph Mercy Oakland, please visit www.stjoesoakland.org.
Oakland County, Michigan - Named for its beautiful oak trees, Oakland County offers a blend of big city, suburban, and rural lifestyles. Oakland County is recognized as having Michigan s second highest population with a residential population of more than 68,000 and has continued to grow since its inception over 175 years ago. Located north of Detroit, Oakland County is part of the nation s seventh largest metropolitan area and is home to 39 cities and 14 townships. Today, residents have access to 30 downtown areas, nearly 90,000 acres of natural settings, several entertainment and sports venues, plus countless opportunities to achieve a high quality of life. This area is also home to several institutions of higher education, well-known private schools, and exemplary public schools.
With its proximity to Detroit, quality schools, and numerous recreational opportunities, the Oakland area is a perfect place to raise a family. Museums and golf courses are nearby, and Detroit's sporting events, concerts and more are just a half-hour away. The old, well established neighborhoods of the past are joined by gorgeous new residential development. The Oakland area is also a great locale for pet lovers.
With excellent schools, affordable housing, employment opportunities and an abundance of cultural and recreational activities, moving to Oakland County will be the best decision you can make.
Apply for Director - Medical Student Programs Opportunity
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly