Documentation & Utilization Excellence - Medical Director Opportunity
Saint Alphonsus Medical Group (SAMG) has an excellent Medical Director opportunity for an experienced physician to join Saint Alphonsus Health System located in Boise, Idaho.
The Medical Director of Documentation and Utilization Excellence (MDUE) is the lead provider for coordination and oversight of both utilization management efforts and documentation excellence initiatives. The MDUE will have an established record of clinical excellence and credibility. Will be familiar with hospital medicine and principles of proper utilization and appropriate clinical documentation. The MDUE will work in a dyad partnership with the SAHS Director, Clinical Resource Management.
This is a full-time opportunity and requires a 0.7-.8 FTE Administrative / 0.2 0.3 Clinical commitment. The schedule for this opportunity is Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no call associated with this opportunity.
- Consistently emulates the SAHS mission and guiding behaviors.
- Perform Physician Advisor role in determining and arbitrating level of care determinations performing Peer-to-Peer reviews with insurance companies who are denying an inpatient level of care. Complement current physician advisor efforts at completion of second level reviews for patients not meeting inpatient criteria.
- Participates in local Utilization Review Committee and be a member of appropriate committees and teams to improve utilization, care transitions and appropriate clinical documentation as assigned.
- Engage in physician-to-physician communication to provide just-in-time education and resolve conflicts regarding utilization concerns and clinical documentation excellence education.
- Conduct rounds to monitor compliance with developed policies and procedures for bed placement, accurate reporting of bed status.
- Assist case managers, utilization review nurses and social workers to overcome barriers as they identify patients ready for transfer or discharge.
- Participate as needed in forums to manage day-to-day bed management issues, especially during times of HVM (high volume management) including treat & transfer discussion and decisions.
- Arbitrate admission and discharge decision made by other physicians as deemed appropriate.
- Refer individuals to the appropriate chain of command who demonstrate patterns of physician behavior that impede the throughput process.
- Assist as requested in the role out of EMR initiatives.
- Lead Health Grades and other clinical initiatives that rely heavily on excellence in clinical documentation.
- Communicates using multiple methods with their constituency.
- Attends required meetings as determined.
- Feels comfortable providing in person communication and presentation in front of large groups.
- Is able to maintain timely email communication with colleagues.
- In collaboration with SAHS administration, helps oversee and provide mentorship to hospital based providers regarding utilization and clinical documentation.
IV. Quality and Risk.
- In collaboration with the SAHS administration, risk and legal teams, assures that medical utilization and documentation programs are compliant with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in peer review activities as requested.
- Identifies human resource, compliance and risk management issues, reports those risks to SAHS leadership and/or SAHS Office of the General Council, or the SAHS Compliance Officer as appropriate.
Requirements for this opportunity include:
- Requires all skills, knowledge, education, licensing, certification, experience and essential functions to function in the role.
- M.D / D.O. degree required.
- A minimum of five years' experience in hospital based medicine with exposure to utilization management and documentation initiatives.
- Demonstrated teamwork, performance analysis, presentation, interpersonal, facilitation, planning, and communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain positive rapport with dyad partner, SAHS leadership, peers, physicians and staff.
- Ability to work with Trinity Health experts in managing and developing medical utilization programs and documentation initiatives.
An excellent compensation and benefits package is available for the right candidate including:
- Sign-on Incentives
- Student Loan Repayment
- PTO & CME Allocation
- Malpractice Insurance (Incl. Tail)
- Retirement (403b)
ABOUT THE FACILITY
Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center is a 387 bed regional medical center serving people throughout the Northwest and is the principal provider of advanced, innovative and interdisciplinary services. It is also the region s only ACS verified Level II Trauma Center whose annual trauma volumes exceed 1,700 with over 400 patients with an ISS>16. Trauma is predominantly blunt in nature. There are a wide range of subspecialty services available 24/7, including strong trauma/surgical critical care, neurosurgical coverage, in-house interventional radiologists, vascular surgeons, cardiothoracic surgeons and fellowship trained intensivists and cardiologists.
As a not-for-profit medical center, Saint Alphonsus reinvests profits back into the community and works to improve the health and well-being of those we serve by emphasizing care that is patient-centered, innovative and community based. It focuses on providing services in a spiritual, healing environment; is renowned for its state-of-the-art digital environment and pioneering technologies including advanced imaging capabilities; and is known for its award-winning clinical services.
For more information about Saint Alphonsus Health System, www.saintalphonsus.org
Boise, Idaho, is an economically vibrant and growing community. Boise is a mid-sized metropolitan area of approximately 640,000 people. A commercial center in the Northwest, Boise is an outdoor enthusiast s paradise and a flourishing scene for arts, entertainment and collegiate and professional sports. Known as the City of Trees, Boise also offers a reasonable cost of living, low crime rate, excellent cultural programs, numerous neighborhood parks and nearby national forests and rivers. Idaho's culture of physician independence also makes it one of the best places in America to be a practicing physician.
For more information on Boise, please visit www.boise.org
Apply for Documentation & Utilization Excellence - Medical Director Opportunity
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly