Medical Director, Urgent Care
Creatively, consistently and compassionately manages the daily operations for the Greater New Bedford Community Health Center’s (the “Health Center”) Urgent Care Department with the objective of developing the Health Center to meet established needs consistent with the Health Center’s mission. Uses his/her passion for treating patients from underserved communities to provide the highest level of care. Maintains collaborative relationships with staff throughout the Health Center to ensure efficient and effective operations as well as quality care for patients. Establishes and maintains systems to ensure that patient service and clinical data flow support organizational objectives. Oversees staff schedules and manages the department budget.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions.
- Consults and collaborates with all levels of the organization and multi-disciplinary teams to ensure patient needs are met. Ensures open lines of communication to, from and within the Department.
- Serves on and actively participates as a member on committees as assigned. Attends a variety of meetings, discussions, conferences, seminars, and workshops, both within and outside the organization as applicable to own position's responsibilities. Holds regular department meetings to keep staff informed and receive feedback.
- Must be able to provide the care needed as described in the Health Center policies and procedures regarding quality of care and compliance..
- Provides supervision and oversight for clinical practice of Urgent Care mid-level practitioners, and provides mentoring and support as needed.
- Is comfortable holding staff and peers accountable to quality requirements as well as being a role model for the department.
- Perform annual evaluations of department professional providers and peer reviews as required.
- Ensures that the department is meeting or exceeding all regulatory and Health Center quality and compliance requirements.
- Keeps patient’s protected health information confidential and ensures staff adherence to the Health’s Center’s HIPPA policies and procedures.
- Responsible for conducting individual patient health history, physical assessments and screenings to include various diagnostic testing as needed. Management, implementation and education of complex medical illnesses within the scope of Internal Medicine/Family Medicine practices.
- Responsible for development and evaluation of treatment plans.
- May provide initial interpretation of X-Rays which are officially studied and reported by a consulting Radiologist. Interprets Laboratory reports and Electrocardiograms within the scope of medical practice. Responsible for interpreting the results and providing feedback to patient and/or designated family member. Monitors and ensures patient satisfaction.
- Responsible for prescribing/performing various treatment modalities including, but not limited to, medications, injections, wellness counseling, suturing, and ancillary testing. Facilitates appropriate utilization of the healthcare system and encourages appropriate follow-up care.
- Provides educational opportunities for the patient and/or family related to health status, utilizing additional resources when indicated. Responsible for facilitating patient’s participation in health care by providing information needed to make informed decisions and encourages appropriate follow-up care to the specific ages of patients served on his/her assigned practice setting.
- Maintains accurate, thorough and timely documentation of patient encounters. Document treatment appropriately in the Electronic Health Record.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Medical Officer.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients as well as physicians and other healthcare providers.
- Must possess the ability to treat patients and their families with compassion and understanding.
- Must be detail oriented, observant and maintain a strong ability to focus when evaluating and treating patients.
- Must possess problem solving skills to evaluate patients and administer appropriate treatments.
- Must protect confidential information pertaining to patients according to Health Center protocol.
- Experience in Internal Medicine/Family Practice care. Performs procedures as defined in the Delineation of Privileges.
- Knowledge and implementation of quality improvement measures.
- Commitment and interest in working with a low income and culturally diverse population.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & OTHER CREDENTIALS:
- Medical Degree and current and unrestricted Massachusetts Physician License
- DEA and Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration
- Internal Medicine/Family Medicine Board Certification. Maintains certification in compliance with current State law.
- Current CPR/BLS Certification
- Maintain continuing medical education
- Knowledge of community health and public health principles/practices
- Strong EMR skills are required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel are a plus.
**NOTE: This job description is intended to describe the essential job functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.