- Performs endoscopic procedures and cares for patients in the outpatient clinic.
- Procedural duties will include performing diagnostic and therapeutic upper and lower endoscopy procedures, PEG placement, esophageal dilation.
- Performing examination, endoscopy consultation, and developing treatment and follow-up plans
- Responsible for completing patient encounters, inpatient consults, notes, and correctly coding visits in accordance with coding guidelines.
- Clinical duties will include diagnosing, treating and managing patients referred for management of GI disorders including liver disease, Hepatitis C, and liver transplants based on standard and customary methods and techniques in the outpatient setting.
- Serves on call per rotation schedule, including holidays and weekends.
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Heavy Lifting (45 lbs. and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs. and over); Straight Pulling (6 hours); Pushing (6-10 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use fingers; Both hands required; Walking (6-10 hours); Standing (6-10 hours); Kneeling (1 hour); Repeated bending (4 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Hearing (aid permitted)Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician-Gastroenterologist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly