This vacancy will remain open until filled. The first cut-off date is 1/30/20. Additional applications will be referred as needed
Pay:Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases.
Paid Time Off:49-54 days paid time off per year (26 days annual leave, 13 days' sick leave, 10 federal holidays).
Retirement:Traditional federal pension (5 years' vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA.
Insurance:Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement).
Licensure:1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory.
CME:Possible $1,000 per year stipend + possible 1 week paid authorized absence to attend.
Malpractice:Free liability protection with tail coverage provided.
Contract:No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting.
Take a look at VA'sTop 20 Reasons Doctors Enjoy Working at VAandVHA Physician's Brochure
Major duties and responsibilities are for treating and managing pulmonary conditions. Often helping Veterans who are experiencing a complete evaluation of the respiratory system; including patient history, physical examinations and test of pulmonary functions. The staff pulmonologist has the following responsibilities:
- Examinations-Evaluates patients by examining thoroughly. Appropriate clinical, laboratory and other pertinent data is obtained to determine care the patient is provided.
- Diagnosis-Interprets and evaluates clinical data for the purpose of determining diagnosis and clinical status.
- Therapeutic Ability-Prescribes appropriate and timely treatment; applies indicated therapeutic procedures; recognizes and assesses changes in behavior, symptoms, signs, and other pertinent facts about the patient and modifies plan accordingly.
- Effectiveness in Emergencies-Readily available; quick in recognizing emergency situations and taking timely necessary action.
- Patient Management-Develops and maintains rapport and gains the confidence of patients and relatives through competence and interpersonal skills.
- Consultations and Specialty Skills-Recognizes the need for consultation and utilizing facility or clinic specialty skills in diagnosis and treatment. Responds to inpatient/outpatient consultations in a timely manner, documents consultations according to procedure and is actively engaging with the primary care team or clinician.
Financial Disclosure Report:Not required
This position is eligible for theEducation Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program within VHA. If selected for this position you must meet specific individual eligibility criteria in accordance with VHA policy 1021 and apply for EDRP within four (4) months of appointment. Final award amount and program start date is determined after review of a complete EDRP application and supporting documentation by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office. If selected for this position, please contact the facility EDRP Coordinator.
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Conditions of Employment
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 12/31/2020.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Heavy Lifting, 45 pounds and over; Moderate Carrying, 15-44 pounds; Straight pulling, pushing, reaching, use of fingers, use of both hands, walking (3 hours), standing (3 hours), and kneeling; Repeated bending; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; New vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; and hearing (aid permitted).Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Apply for Physician (Pulmonologist)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly