Chief Medical Officer
Onslow Memorial Hospital - An Affiliate of UNC Health Care
As Chief Medical Officer (CMO), is a key member of the administrative team and is responsible for medical affairs and providing administration and the medical staff with knowledge, experience and leadership from a medical management perspective. Twenty-five percent (25%) of the time associated with this position will be in a working, clinical capacity. The position facilitates communication and understanding among the various clinical components of Onslow Memorial Hospital and Onslow Ambulatory Services assuring the provision of high quality, efficient and safe care. Provides and maintains an organized and effective leadership for the medical staff while supporting the goals, mission, and values of the corporation. Performs responsible administrative and professional work in planning, budgeting, organizing, and supervising activities departments of responsibility; establish/review policies, procedures, standards, and objectives for the provision of services; coordinate with other departments to provide maximum level of services to patients, family, and hospital staff. Provides oversight and support for the Medical Staff structure with daily operations, quality patient care, and compliance with legal, regulatory, and accreditation requirements. Coordinates all medical staff planning and physician recruitment efforts to include medical services planning in conjunction with Medical Staff leadership; contract development, negotiation, and implementation with legal review and board approval; and, facilitation of practice startups for recruited physicians. Serves as Executive on Call as scheduled. Supports the Service Improvement Program for Patient and Family Centered care.
- Education: MD or DO is required. Board certification is also required. Graduate degree in healthcare administration / business, medical management or public health is preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of five years of executive level medical leadership experience in a similar sized hospital, preferably as a CMO, VP Medical Affairs, Medical Director or the equivalent. Ability to develop and implement organizational strategies to address opportunities that improve the delivery of health care services.
- Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations: Current, unencumbered North Carolina license. Diplomat / Fellow of ACHE.
- Specialized Knowledge/Skills: Excellent leadership, decision making, and communication skills essential. Knowledge of current patient care delivery strategies, evidence based practice and quality improvement concepts required.
- Other: Experience in a leadership role in a medical staff structure, such as functioning as a MEC member, department chair, committee chair or chief of staff or other leadership training will be considered. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, applied within the context of emotional intelligence.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Supports and promotes safe, efficient, and patient- and family-centered care by influencing and engaging the medical staff in the improvement of the quality of patient care. Works directly with the CEO, CNO, CFO and medical staff to ensure safety and quality outcomes.
- Serves as the principle interface between physicians and other practitioners and OMH leadership. Serves as a clinical voice, representing opinions of practitioners and conversely, helps the medical staff understand the rationale for executive decisions. Twenty-five percent (25%) of the time associated with this position will be functioning in a working, clinical capacity.
- Consults with hospital-based physicians (ED, radiology, anesthesia, pathology, etc.) to provide safe, timely, efficient and effective patient throughput.
- Works cooperatively the hospital IT department, clinical informatics, and IT committees to provide physician leadership in advancing clinical information technologies.
- Ensures successful accreditation and regulatory standards compliance.
- Participates in the evaluation of the new program services and initiatives considered by the facility, including development and monitoring of best practices for all new services.
- Manages staff to effectively educate, train, evaluate, motivate, delegate and monitor their performance.
- Provides oversight for the maintenance and recording of payroll records for area(s) of responsibility.
- Role model and holds employees accountable for the Code of Conduct.
- Ensures regulatory and organizational compliance in an ethical workplace.
- Demonstrates effective time management, ability to manage multiple projects and meets identified deadlines.
- Promotes trusts and employee engagement through effective and timely communication strategies. Continues and further develops positive, mutually supportive relationships between OMH leadership and the medical staff.
- Performs executive on call duties on a rotational basis in support of the CEO.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains education and credentials.
- Effectively and consistently implements all levels of rounding as appropriate to the division.
- Actively participates in and takes leadership roles in various hospital-wide initiatives.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of all medical staff committees, serving to integrate the activities of the various committees with each other and the overall goals of the hospital.
- Provides consultation to medical staff leadership in areas of disciplinary action, legal concerns, continuing medical education, privileging, and regulatory requirements.
- Operationally and fiscally manages the division, e.g. departmental budgets, inventory logistics, instrument acquisition, personnel and labor laws, quality improvement and hospital committees.
- Incorporates evidence-based standards into decisions for the provision of safe patient care.
- Coordinates, facilitates, and manages change within the division.
- Uses effective conflict resolution techniques.
- Assesses and responds appropriately to organizational culture.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. At no time will any employee be expected to perform duties outside of his/her scope of practice.
- This job description is not an employment contract and does not alter the at-will status of your employment. In addition, we reserve the right to modify any of the job duties specified in this job description at any time for any reason.