Medical Director

Location
Memphis, Tennessee
Posted
Sep 09, 2019
Closes
Oct 09, 2019
Ref
Preventive Medicine, Memphis - 19000001O3
Hours
Full Time

The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) is seeking a faculty leader to serve as Medical Director for the Department of Preventive Medicine. Established in 1939, the Department of Preventive Medicine is integral to UTHSC's mission to improve human health through education, research, and public service. The Department has been the institutional home to large-scale multi-institutional trials, including the Women’s Health Initiative, Health ABC, and Look AHEAD.  Additionally, the Department is the home to multiple federally funded investigator driven trials as well as multiple industry-sponsored trials.  This is an opportunity to join a dynamic transdisciplinary faculty in shaping the clinical research mission. 

The Medical Director for the clinical trials unit within the Department of Preventive Medicine would lead the clinical trials research program for the Department.  Responsibilities include establishing policies for clinical research conducted within the clinical trials unit, managing supporting staff, and monitoring operational costs over time. The ideal candidate for this position would have a strong background as a clinician, as well as an on-going research program as a clinical researcher with experience complying with regulatory requirements (e.g., good clinical practice, human subjects research protections, FDA regulations).  The successful applicant will work closely with the Department Chair, other clinical researchers, and our executive management team to implement strategies that enhance opportunities to conduct clinical trials and observational studies.  The Medical Director would act as a medical expert to support investigator trials as a co-investigator and provide expertise in dealing with vendors and non-medical facilities.  The faculty rank is open, with up to 80% of effort protected for research, with the other 20% allocated to teaching or clinical responsibilities. A dual appointment in a clinical department would be feasible as appropriate.

Qualifications:

• MD degree and be eligible for Tennessee licensure

• Demonstrated clinical research success as evidenced by obtaining extramural funding, and conducting trials as Principal Investigator, including accruing participants to clinical trials

• Service as medical expert to facilitate development of new clinical trials

• Mentorship experience to support early-stage clinical investigators

• Experience managing research budgets and contracting 

•Demonstrated ability to work in a team science environment

•Excellent communication skills

Applicants should have a demonstrated commitment to diversity and equal opportunity.

Interested applicants should electronically submit a copy of their curriculum vitae, a cover letter describing their research, and at least three contacts for recommendation letters.