Chief Medical Officer
- Position Type
Rio Grande Regional Hospital
McAllen, TX 78503
Size of Hospital: 320-beds
Rio Grande Regional Hospital in McAllen Texas has been serving the Rio Grande Valley for more than 30 years. Since opening in 1982, we have been committed to providing high-quality compassionate healthcare you can trust. As an HCA hospital, Rio Grande Regional has the support of the nation's leading provider of healthcare services.
Rio Grande Regional Hospital has 320 beds and a team of more than 500 physicians representing over 35 specialties. Our proven track record of serving the medical needs of the Valley communities we serve has led to Rio Grande Regional Hospital being recognized for patient safety and clinical excellence time and time again.
Hospital Departments & Specialties:
Rio Grande Regional Hospital offers a full range of inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical services. While each department has its specialties and expertise, they work together to provide seamless coordinated care to our patients.
Our hospital network includes care centers designed to meet the needs of specific patient populations.
- 24-Hour Emergency Care. Our on campus Emergency Room includes a Level III Trauma Center. We have extended our ER services into the Rio Grande Valley with our two remote ERs: Our McAllen/Mission location at 5100 West Expressway 83 and our Edinburg location at 2744 West University Drive in Edinburg.
- Rio Grande Women’s Clinics, offering full-service ob-gyn care in 5 community-based locations. This is in addition to the Women’s Services at the main hospital, including labor and delivery and a 30-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
- Children’s Medical Center, an entire hospital within Rio Grande Regional designed with children in mind.
- Rio Grande Surgery Center, providing easy access and a high-quality patient experience for outpatient surgeries and procedures.
- Texas Transplant Institute, satellite clinics are held in Rio Grande Regional Hospital and McAllen Medical Plaza (across the street) to serve local patients in need of organ, tissue or stem cell transplants. Our program with TTI means patients can get some of the medical care associated with transplants in McAllen, without multiple trips to San Antonio.
- Bariatric Program, accredited since 2007 and designated as a Comprehensive Accredited Center in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
- Diabetes Management Program, accredited as a Diabetes Management Center by the American Diabetes Association.
- Laboratory Services, certified by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA) and accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP).
The Facility Chief Medical Officer leads clinical and quality initiatives that support the provision of consistent clinical performance and practice standards across the hospital; facilitates the analysis of quality performance and prioritization improvement opportunities; provides senior level leadership to the infection control, risk management, safety, and medical staff credentialing functions ensuring the collaboration and coordination of all stakeholders in these processes; and consults on an array of issues involving physicians.
- Promotes Physician Alignment between HCA-Affiliated Physicians and HCA Hospital and Corporate Leadership by:
- Leading clinical performance expectations that support the goals of consistent clinical performance and practice standards across the facility to ensure superior clinical outcomes and unparalleled patient experience.
- Working with Hospital Chief Medical Officers, Chief Executive Officers, Medical Staffs, and Boards of Directors, to improve the functionality and effectiveness of the hospital medical staff organization
- Partnering and collaborating with medical staffs and hospital management teams, facilitating teamwork and shared goals. Representing medical staff viewpoints to management and relaying management viewpoints to medical staff by establishing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships between HCA leadership and community and/or employed physicians.
- Provides clinical support and consultation regarding cost effective clinical resource management in the facilities by sharing of reports and recommendations regarding how to reduce the variable cost per case while maintaining and enhancing clinical effectiveness.
- Creating an environment of quality and cost improvement that is data driven and develops systems to review utilization of resources and objectively measure outcomes of care in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Serving as a direct liaison between HCA affiliated physicians and facility, and corporate clinical services functions.
- Establishing and maintaining an ongoing program to orient and develop management expertise for Hospital Chiefs of Staff, Medical Executive Committees, and other medical staff leaders by providing oversight and leadership for all medical education programs.
- Leading educational sessions and providing ongoing in service to facility medical staff regarding clinical resource management, appropriate documents standards, utilization and quality issues, and quality improvement activities in collaboration with the chief of staff or other clinical leadership in the facility.
- Assembling regional physician advisory panels to provide ongoing feedback to HCA senior management and serves as a liaison between these committees and facility, and corporate leadership as well as to the affiliated physicians.
- Serving as spokesperson to HCA hospitals and affiliated physicians to explain and obtain buy in for, corporate, group, and facility, sponsored clinical initiatives.
- Collaborating on a day to day basis with other facility and corporate Chief Medical Officers.
- Educating physicians on HCA clinical technologies.
- Collaborating with HPG and Supply Chain on formulary and supply opportunities.
Education & Experience:
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Required
- Master's degree in business or related field, Preferred
- 10+ years of experience in clinical practice, Preferred
- Experience as a CMO (or equivalent) in a large, complex hospital or regional health system, Required
- Additional education and coursework in management and business, Preferred
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
- Board Certified Physician, Required
- State medical board licensed, Required
Apply for Chief Medical Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly