Vice President of Research
Vice President of Research
Maine Medical Center Research Institute
Full Time, Days
Maine Medical Center Research Institute is seeking a Vice President of Research in Scarborough. The Vice President of Research (VPR) reports to the Chief Academic Officer and oversees and directs all functions of the Maine Medical Center Research Institute (MMCRI). In that role, the VPR provides vision for growth and development of the research mission, fostering innovation and the advancement of biomedical knowledge that enhances the capabilities of MaineHealth (MH) in patient care activities and the overall health of the region.
- Provides leadership and vision for MMCRI and MH’s research programs by stewarding and growing a thriving research portfolio through sponsored research, scientific collaboration and dissemination.
- Leads the design and development of innovative programs to enable the achievement of Maine Medical Center’s and MMCRI’s goals and priorities.
- Works collaboratively with clinical departments, service lines, and IT to promote growth of research programs that support institutional strategic objectives.
- Develops a high performing MMCRI staff and provides guidance and support for their career growth and professional development.
- Represents MMCRI through service and participation on boards, committees, panels, and conferences to represent organizational, health, and research interests at the local, regional, and national level.
- Assures system-wide research activities are aligned with Maine Medical Center’s and MaineHealth’s goals.
- Provides oversight of all aspects of MMCRI’s long-range planning and mission, direction, and objectives. Develops and fosters a diverse and meaningful scientific portfolio that results in a world class scientific program that translates into knowledge that improves health for a variety of stakeholders, including MaineHealth patients and our local communities.
- Provides scientific leadership and guidance to improve the research activities of others.
- Represents Maine Medical Center, MMCRI and MaineHealth at national groups and represents the interests of MMCRI to external funders.
- Develops and tracks measures of research productivity and seeks ways and venues to further disseminate and implement research findings.
- Promotes and facilitates the utilization of technical and analytic resources within the Research Institute, and in collaboration with IT, in the evaluation of health system data to advance scientific knowledge and clinical care.
- Facilitates intra-institutional cooperation and interactions with external research and academic partners to spur collaborative growth and research synergies.
- Serves as MaineHealth’s Research Integrity Officer (RIO) as well as the Institutional Official (IO) with oversight responsibility for the IRB, IACUC and IBC.
- An M.D. or Ph.D. with a minimum of 10 years of research administrative experience in research, with progressive responsibilities.
- Scientific leadership experience in a health-related research setting.
- Experience communicating both technical and non-technical concepts with collaborators, stakeholders and community members.
- Successful track record of leading an externally funded research program in the biomedical sciences.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, plan, organize, coordinate, and facilitate the work of large groups of working scientists.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively interact in delicate, sensitive, or complex situations.
About Maine Medical Center Research Institute (MMCRI)
Maine Medical Center Research Institute (MMCRI) strengthens the relationship between medical research and clinical care, by growing our translational and clinical research programs and encouraging collaboration between researchers and clinicians, educators and students. The partnership with Tufts University School of Medicine is creating new opportunities to merge patient care, education and research in the medical education program and in the simulation center built to support that program. The MH President and Board of Directors have reaffirmed their understanding of the pivotal role played by research in the pursuit of excellence in patient care, and an ongoing commitment to support research at Maine Medical Center and MaineHealth.
MaineHealth values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.