Vice President and Executive Medical Director
- Position Type
VICE PRESIDENT AND EXECUTIVE MEDICAL DIRECTOR, UNC REX PHYSICIANS
UNC REX Healthcare
The Vice President and Executive Medical Director represents the UNC REX Physicians within the broader UNC Health Care System and serves as the chair of the UNC REX Physician Oversight Committee (POC). The physician leader will support the development and execution of strategic growth initiatives that are aligned with the goals of the health care system and the organizational goals of UNC REX.
The Vice President and Executive Medical Director serves in a dyad partnership with the Chief Operating Officer, UNC REX Healthcare and has a dual reporting chain to the President, UNC REX Healthcare and President, UNC Physicians, UNC Health Care. The dyad leadership model is comprised of an administrative and a physician leader, both whom share equal responsibility for the effective management of the physician practices including the oversight of employed physicians and contracted community practice relationships & services as well as the successful implementation of strategic, operational, and financial initiatives. Additionally, the Vice President and Executive Medical Director will serve as a member of the UNC REX Executive Leadership team.
The Vice President and Executive Medical Director will devote their time as a physician leader of the UNC REX practices and will also be an active, practicing member of the UNC REX Clinical Physician staff.
Roles & Responsibilities of UNC REX Physician Leader
- Serves as Chair of the Physician Oversight Committee (POC), working collaboratively to identify strategic growth initiatives that are aligned with the UNC Health Care system strategy and the UNC REX organizational goals
- Serves as UNC REX Physician representative within the UNC REX Healthcare Executive Team in an administrative dyad with the Chief Operating Officer
- Serves as UNC REX Physician representative within various UNC Health Care System committees (e.g. The Physician Practice Management Committee, Quality Improvement Oversight Committee, Physician Compensation Committee, and the Shared Services Committee), and may serve or delegate representation to relevant sub-committees within those groups
- Leads the development and execution of UNC REX strategic growth, operational initiatives, and operational performance goals for the UNC REX practices ensuring alignment to the UNC Health Care system strategy as well as to the UNC REX organizational goals
- Promotes a culture of transparent decision-making and serves as a change agent to support the achievement of system and hospital strategic goals
- Aligns physicians around ambulatory quality of care and top-performance objectives
- Ensures patient experience meets UNC REX standards of care, including patient access and quality of service
- Accountable for the UNC REX physician practice budgetary and financial review processes at the UNC REX executive level in conjunction with the dyad partner
- Works collaboratively with POC members to further develop the POC committee structure; provides guidance and oversight for all POC committees to ensure alignment with System and UNC REX strategic priorities and growth initiatives (e.g., compensation, quality, practice peer review, etc.)
- Fosters trust and transparency among the UNC REX physicians and administrators as well as with members of the UNC Faculty Practice and affiliated community physicians
- Contributes to the professional development of UNC REX physicians and mentors members of the UNC REX practices
- Works collaboratively with UNC Network Development to identify community outreach activities that promote a positive image of the UNC REX practices and advances the strategic vision and mission of the health care system
- Develops strategic relationships and maintains regular contact with peer and area healthcare decision-makers; including those in managed care organizations, hospital systems, and other physician groups
- Accountable for organizational clinical practices’ standards of patient care
- Fosters an environment that encourages innovation and development of best practices to support patient care, medical education and cost-efficient outcomes
- MD or DO required; Master's degree in health care administration, business administration or related degree highly preferred
- US-licensed physician required; able to obtain North Carolina board certification
- Active clinical practice is highly preferred
- Proven track record of excellent interpersonal, communication and relationship building skills with demonstrated leadership experience interacting effectively with multiple constituencies in complex environments
- Proven ability to foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration, and transparency among multiple physician practices and hospital/system administrators
- Demonstrated leadership with high emotional intelligence, professionalism, and ability to successfully execute on strategic growth initiatives
- Strong understanding of the health care regulatory landscape, including evolving payment mechanisms (e.g., transition to value-based care)
- Demonstrated change management leadership experience specifically with physician networks and healthcare systems
- Promotes the highest standards of ethics, honesty, and trust
The UNC Health Care System and the UNC School of Medicine are committed to valuing all people throughout our organization, regardless of background, lifestyle, and culture. A diverse and inclusive work environment for staff and culturally appropriate care for our patients, are essential to fulfilling our UNC Health Care vision of improving the health of all North Carolinians.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UNC Health Care is an equal opportunity employer. As such, UNC Health Care offers equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or political affiliation.
Apply for Vice President and Executive Medical Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly