Head of Mental Health Program
- Position Type
Head of Mental Health Program
- Rare opportunity to lead world-class research program
- Promote and drive translation of research for patient benefit
- State-of-the-art research facilities including access to the world class Herston Imaging Research Facility (HIRF)
QIMR Berghofer is seeking a senior researcher of international standing to lead the Institute’s Mental Health Program. Currently it is composed of world class research groups studying a range of psychiatric and neurological conditions. The broad research program has existing strengths in genetics, population health, brain imaging and cellular models of relevance to disease and treatment.
Those with clinical experience, particularly psychiatrists, are especially encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have a significant track record of research excellence and leadership, a strategic approach and a commitment to the translation of research findings. The ideal candidate will be internationally recognised as a successful researcher in their own mental health field while also demonstrating a broader understanding of contemporary mental health challenges.
- Shared campus with clinicians (Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital)
- Clinical links, potential joint position for a psychiatrist with salary support from Metro North Hospital and Health Service (MNHHS)
- Access to the Herston Imaging Research Facility (HIRF) including PRISMA 3T MRI, fully integrated PET-MRI, and PET-CT
- Critical mass of outstanding researchers within an excellent, nurturing scientific environment
- Leadership role in a major medical research institute
- The very latest in High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure supporting high dimensional computation including advanced neuroimaging and machine learning
- Extensive scientific support services
- Develop the strategic direction for the Mental Health Program.
- Build and foster relationships with clinicians, Mental Health policy makers and other key stakeholders to ensure research is translated into practice
- Lead highly motivated, world-class Faculty and teams to deliver research outcomes with impact.
- Promote and encourage translation of research to clinical trials, drug discovery and treatments
- Promote and encourage the scientific quality of research at QIMR Berghofer, including invitations to lecture, awards and funding opportunities
- Provide advice to the Director on matters related to strategy, recruitment, promotions and awards
- Coach and mentor Faculty to a culture of scientific excellence
- Promote the Program and QIMR Berghofer’s international reputation
Market competitive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful candidate, including highly attractive salary packaging options. For a psychiatrist, appointment under Queensland Health staff specialist conditions would be available.
QIMR Berghofer is committed to gender equality in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from women. The Institute is also a leader in supporting female researchers in the workplace and has established a scheme of support programs designed to encourage women to remain in the workforce. These include generous paid parental leave, targeted financial assistance upon return, childcare assistance and parenting rooms.
QIMR Berghofer also provides attractive benefits and excellent support to maintain a healthy work/life balance and offers generous remuneration benefits, including four weeks’ annual leave per year, highly attractive salary packaging options and assistance with visa and relocation expenses.
Contract term: The initial appointment will be for a period of five (5) years
How do I apply?
To apply please send a full curriculum vitae and a one page statement summarizing your experience and research interests to Professor Frank Gannon, Director and CEO at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted up to midnight (AEST), Sunday 14 April 2019
Any queries, please contact the Chief Human Resources Officer on +61 7 3362 0196