Medical Director, Social Determinants of Health (38991) - New York, NY
- Position Type
Empower Every New Yorker — Without Exception — to Live the Healthiest Life Possible
NYC Health + Hospitals is the largest public health care system in the United States. We provide essential outpatient, inpatient and home-based services to more than one million New Yorkers every year across the city’s five boroughs. Our large health system consists of ambulatory centers, acute care centers, post-acute care/long-term care, rehabilitation programs, Home Care, and Correctional Health Services. Our diverse workforce is uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest life possible.
As part of NYC Health + Hospitals, the Office of Population Health (OPH) has a broad portfolio encompassing ambulatory care transformation, development of innovative care models, chronic disease prevention and management, research and evaluation, population health analytics, and social determinants of health. The Social Determinants Team sits within the Office of Population Health and works to support H+H facilities and community partners to routinely and effectively address patients’ social needs. Social needs are non-medical aspects of individual and family lives that can affect one’s ability to maintain health and well-being. The Social Determinants Team focuses on addressing social needs including housing (stability and quality); food (stability and security); legal needs related to—for instance—immigration status, eligibility for public health insurance, employment, family, and/or housing access; and government benefits access that relate to income maximization and other needs.
We are seeking a Medical Director, Social Determinants of Health who would spend 40% of their time in active clinical practice, with the other 60% dedicated to responsibilities within the Office of Population Health. The Medical Director, Social Determinants of Health would serve as the clinical half of a “clinical-operational dyad,” working closely with the Lead, Social Determinants. The Lead and Medical Director both report to the Chief Population Health Officer; other members of the Social Determinants Team report to the Lead, and the Medical Director serves as the clinical principal for the team, working in collaboration with the rest of the Social Determinants Team.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating to finalize the system-wide social determinants strategy and serving as a clinical advisor on its implementation, as needed
- Scaling up social needs screening activities by working with clinical leadership across H+H, as a means to arrive at a universal social needs screening tool and workflow ready for system-wide implementation
- Implementing substantive interventions (e.g., community health worker programs) to address key social determinants of health
- Collaborating to build partnerships with external organizations, health plans, local and state agencies, philanthropy and other H+H units (particularly Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, and Care Management)
- Synthesizing scientific evidence and best practices in literature, consulting experts in the field, and translating findings into implementation.
- Developing internal and external communications, patient education materials, research and policy manuscripts, grant applications, and provider training and reference materials
- Collaborating with other members of the OPH/ACO senior team on project deliverables.
1. Graduation from an approved school of medicine and completion of an approved residency in a specialty and Board eligible; and
2. A license to practice in New York State; and
3. A minimum of five (5) years experience in the field of specialty in a responsible medical and clinical administrative capacity.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Working understanding of federal and state healthcare initiatives and regulations, including accountable care organizations, other federal and state initiatives, as well as private sector trends and initiatives.
- Experience with New York City's healthcare industries, including major hospital systems, other significant providers, city and state agencies, and relevant community-based organizations and agencies.
- Demonstrated strategic and analytical skills, including the ability to analyze complex situations, learn quickly and synthesize corresponding solutions, options and action plans.
- Creative problem solving skills, including the ability to identify areas of common ground across potentially competing points-of-view.
- Excellent communications skills, including written and oral presentation skills, with the ability to engage, build credibility and engender trust across all levels of an organization.
- Advanced-level competency in use of tools supporting all job duties, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and project management software
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, handle multiple projects simultaneously and delegate responsibilities when appropriate.
- Ability to work well under the pressure of deadlines and the stress of undertaking multiple projects at one time
Apply for Medical Director, Social Determinants of Health (38991) - New York, NY
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly