Medical Director/Director of Clinical Operations
The Marcus Institute for Brain Health (MIBH) at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a clinical care and research institute for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Psychological Health (PH) conditions such as post-traumatic stress, depression, and anxiety. The primary focus of the MIBH is to care for former military personnel who have separated from active duty, with special consideration for those who were separated with “Other Than Honorable” or “Dishonorable” discharge status due to TBI or PH conditions. The MIBH will also serve civilian adults who have sustained mild to moderate TBI, and are experiencing ongoing neurological problems and co-morbid PH conditions. The MIBH offers intensive outpatient care with detailed diagnostic and treatment services within an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) that integrates conventional with complementary and alternative medicine, utilizing an interdisciplinary team model.
The Medical Director is a key member of the MIBH Senior Leadership team, and is engaged in defining the overall operational strategy and clinical direction of the MIBH. In addition, this position leads the overall clinical vision for the organization and provides clinical direction to the Care, Health Management, and Network processes of the MIBH. The position provides medical care, expertise, and leadership to ensure the delivery of affordable high quality healthcare services and a positive patient experience. Responsibilities also include assistance with the development and implementation of innovative clinical programs that include collaboration with strategic business partners. This position reports to the Executive Director and responsibilities may include;
General Roles & Responsibilities:
Leadership and implementation of clinical care for the MIBH, incorporating traditional and integrative care modalities.
Provision of high-level clinical services in concert with a Center of Excellence model.
Keeping abreast of emerging models in health care delivery.
Identification and definition of new and innovative strategies to achieve business goals and objectives.
Identification of opportunities to collaborate and develop clinical integration opportunities with other health delivery systems to achieve affordable and positive outcomes.
Assistance with the Utilization Review Accreditation Commission (URAC) process, and maintenance of the URAC standards for health management and clinical credentialing.
Active engagement in clinical development opportunities to include presentation of the MIBH clinical capabilities to employers, legislative officials, and other key constituents.
Provision of clinical guidance, support, and education to Clinical and Network Management organizations.
Supervision of the Assoc. Director of Clinical Operations, licensed Clinical Care providers, and Intake/after care personnel.
- Oversight of broad evidence-based health care to military Veterans and their families, elite athletes and their families, and others relating to TBI and PH (Psychological Health).
- Facilitation of treatment plans that are unique to TBI patients, including but not limited to neurological symptomology such as headaches, balance disorders, and sleep disturbances, as well as psychiatric disorders related to emotional trauma.
- Spearheading of team-based care with multidisciplinary teams for evaluation and intensive outpatient programs.
- Support of clinical specialties as needed, as well as referring providers.
- Design and implementation of health promotion and disease prevention interventions in collaboration with the Program Director and the clinical team, as appropriate.
- Facilitation of referrals for more significant TBI or PH conditions.
- Supervision of Advance Practice Providers (APPs) and other clinical providers.
- Ongoing collaboration with the Clinical Navigator and Case Workers (Intake/aftercare team).
- Regular attendance at IOP Rounds.
- Clinical decision-making regarding additional patient evaluation such as sleep consultation and/or studies, neuroimaging, medical work-up, etc.
- Regular participation in the activities of the Clinical Admissions Decision Team.
- Oversight and development of clinical provider network for continuum of care.
- Preparation of each patient’s Discharge Summary, including detailed information regarding discharge planning and follow-up care.
- Quality Management, including quality improvement and compliance, and for MIBH clinical providers.
- Creation of clinical protocols and systems as needed for excellence in clinical care and electronic charting.
- Clinical decision-making regarding patient flow and medical treatment management.
- Crisis management support as needed, and management of a trauma-focused clinical training program in the provision of effective treatment modalities.
- Regular provider performance review in conjunction with the Director of Finance and Administration and Business Administration Program Manager (clinical competence, utilization, coding, billing issues, etc.).
- Participation in senior management business and clinical strategy development and implementation.
- Building and leveraging internal and external cross-functional collaborative relationships to achieve shared MIBH goals.
- Development and implementation of strategic goals related to the quality improvement, management programs, and accreditation standards.
- Assistance with analytics and development of quality measures for new payment models (value based/risk based payment structures) and customer satisfaction.
Education & Research:
- Support of University and community partnerships by the provision of educational talks and training sessions.
- Support of the educational efforts and clinical research projects of the MIBH.
- Support of the needs of the faculty home department as necessary.
- A Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) degree from an accredited academic institution specializing in Medicine (Internal Medicine, Physiatry, Family Practice, Neurology, etc.), including integrative medicine.
- Experience as a supervisor of clinical personnel, and administration in a healthcare setting.
- The ability to obtain an unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Colorado.
- Certification by the American Board of Medical Specialties in his/her specialty.
- A minimum of 5 years professional post-residency experience in direct patient care, with experience in TBI care.
- Extensive experience working with an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience working with Veteran and Military communities and/or elite athletes with appropriate cultural competence.
- Experience in a medical specialty related to TBI such as Neurology, Sleep Medicine, Vestibular Disorders, and/or Mental Health.
- Knowledge of managed healthcare systems, medical quality assurance, quality improvement, and risk management.
- Exceptional team focus, with the ability to work in collaboration internally and externally.
- Strategic and innovative thinking, with proven ability to communicate a vision and drive results.
- Confidence in interacting with high-level providers, both locally and nationally, through meetings and conference presentations.
- Demonstrated management, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to solve problems and execute on initiatives.
- Experience and demonstrated successful leadership of case management, disease management, and/or population health programs.
- Demonstrated ability to assess business needs, design and implement programs and valuate results.
- Capacity for highly organized, detail-oriented, and reliable performance.
- Capacity and ability to foster team building and a supportive, flexible environment.
Complete applications must be submitted through CU Careers at https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers with requisition number 15457.
Complete applications must include a Cover Letter, CV/Resume, and list of three references.
Questions regarding this position may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Access to Protected Health Information: This position will require the employee to handle Protected Health Information (PHI) for duties related to provider credentialing, complaints and grievances, claims issues, Medical Management issues, and risk and compliance issues. Access to the PHI contained in the claims, Medical Management, and provider credentialing systems is necessary for this staff member.