Chair, Department of Surgery
UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE – GRADUATE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
CHAIR, DEPARTMENT OF SURGERY
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) is conducting a search for Chair of the Department of Surgery for the University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine (UTGSM), Knoxville campus. We seek an individual to lead the Department with documented accomplishments and national recognition in patient care, education, and either research or innovation. The Chair will cast vision for the Department and further develop an engaged faculty.
The Chair is expected to enhance postgraduate programs, along with the residency program director, supporting up to 36 residents and 6 fellows per year. The candidate should have proven business acumen; strong communication, negotiation, and team building skills; and a willingness to foster regional and national relationships. He/she should be expected to elevate the Department’s national recognition and drive the organizational mission of healing, education and discovery.
The Chair will serve as Service Chief of Surgery for the University Health System’s (UHS) University of Tennessee Medical Center (UTMC). UTMC is a 633 bed acute care academic medical center with over 700 active medical staff, 250 post-graduate trainees and medical students, and active research programs. It is designated as a: Level I Trauma Center, Regional Perinatal Center, Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center, Certified Comprehensive Cardiac Center, Advanced Certification Center for Total Hip & Total Knee Replacement and a Kidney Transplantation Center. The University of Tennessee Medical Center has six centers of excellence: Heart Lung Vascular Institute, Brain and Spine Institute, Cancer Institute, Emergency and Trauma Center, Advanced Orthopedic Center and the Center for Women & Infants.
Academic Rank: Associate Professor or Professor. Faculty rank and tenure status at appointment will be commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Reports to: Dean, Graduate School of Medicine, and collaboration with the President and CEO of University Health System
- Cast vision and lead the development and implementation of departmental initiatives that align with organizational goals
- Forge strategic regional and national partnerships that support the academic mission
- Direct the education (medical students, ACGME accredited residency in general surgery, fellowships in vascular surgery, surgical critical care, and advanced GI/MIS), research, and clinical activities of the Department
- Steward departmental resources, create a culture of fiscal responsibility and transparency, and ensure the Department meets all UTHSC and GSM policies and guidelines for financial management
- Mentor and develop faculty and enhance a departmental culture of unity, diversity and accountability
- Promote and model wellness among patients, faculty, staff, and trainees
- Drive strategic initiatives that improve operating room safety and efficiency while creating a world class patient and team member experience
- Support and foster collaboration with industry and the University of Tennessee - Knoxville to advance the research/innovation mission
- Direct departmental philanthropic activities
- Promote regional and national departmental recognition
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of the GSM or the President/CEO of UHS
- Proven leadership and success in developing surgical leaders
- Clinically active and recognized for excellence in patient care
- Accomplished and nationally recognized in research, innovation, or education/teaching
- National involvement in professional surgery organizations
- Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and management success
- Demonstrated knowledge of current trends in surgery, medical education, and successful business practices in healthcare
- Ability to foster partnerships and work collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to advocacy for equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion
- MD or DO degree from an accredited medical school
- Board certified in his/her surgical field and meets qualifications for licensure in the State of Tennessee
- Peer references should be able to expound on how the candidate exhibits the majority of the following: leadership, strategic vision, team building, charisma, integrity, humility, listening, approachability, honesty, clear communication, innovation and emotional intelligence
Nominations and Applications
The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (with a letter of interest, a complete CV, and a list of three references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to UTGSM. Review of materials will begin immediately and will continue until the appointment is made. Preliminary interviews are targeted to begin in the spring of 2019. All materials should be submitted to:
Amanda Wilson, Faculty Affairs Coordinator
Office of Faculty Affairs
UT Graduate School of Medicine
1924 Alcoa Highway, Box 94
Knoxville, TN 37920
Phone: 865-305-6482 || Fax: 865-305-6494
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA/V institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services.