- Position Type
The VALLHCS is actively seeking a qualified gastroenterologist. The Section of Gastroenterology at VALLHCS is highly productive and features state-of the-art endoscopy equipment, an outstanding clinical research program and informatics. If hired, the applicant will join a team providing compassionate healthcare to our veterans with a wide range of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The VA Loma Linda Healthcare System (VALLHCS) is actively seeking a qualified gastroenterologist who has an interest in inflammatory bowel disease and general gastroenterology. We have a significant population of patients with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease who have a wide range of disease presentation. The Section of Gastroenterology at VALLHCS is highly productive section and features state-of the-art endoscopy equipment, outstanding clinical research program and informatics. VALLHCS does have an outpatient infusion center which will be able to provide biologic therapy.
The Section of Gastroenterology at VALLHCS is part of the fellowship program which is affiliated with Loma Linda University. A successful candidate will participate in providing clinical care in outpatient clinics and endoscopic services in the inpatient and outpatient setting. During this time the candidate will have the opportunity to teach fellows in the inpatient and outpatient setting,
In addition, there is potential to have collaboration with a colorectal surgeon who has an interest in inflammatory bowel disease and collaborate with the inflammatory bowel disease specialists at Loma Linda University. If hired, the applicant will join a team providing compassionate healthcare to our veterans with inflammatory bowel disease as well as a wide range of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
VALLHCS is a Joint Commission accredited, referral level 1b/high complexity facility serving veterans in San Bernardino, Riverside and Inyo counties in the Inland Empire of southern California. This region encompasses over 35,000 square miles and is close to Los Angeles, San Diego, Palm Springs and Las Vegas.
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be authorized to a highly-qualified candidate.
The Incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this Medical Center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
Work Schedule: Full-time, Monday-Friday, (May be required to work evenings or weekends as a 24/7 Full-Time Physician)
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: Candidates who are board eligible or certified in Gastroenterology are strongly preferred. Preferred applicants will possess excellent clinical and endoscopic skills.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Physical Requirements: Moderate carrying (15-44 lbs.); straight pulling, pushing, reaching above shoulder; walking (up to 3 hours); standing (up to 3 hours); ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; both eyes required; depth perception; ability to distinguish shades of colors; hearing aid permitted.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewardin
Apply for Gastroenterologist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly