Primary Care Physician
- Position Type
The Primary Care Provider will assist in the establishment of Primary Care medical services at Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, DC (PPMW). This individual will serve as the Program Director of Primary Care services with an administrative role in the management of primary care provision. They will also serve a clinical role as a provider of preventive health care, the full scope of primary care medical services, and the full scope of sexual and reproductive health care provided at PPMW, including abortion care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Patient Care/Service Delivery
- Provide quality patient care including exams, laboratory and ultrasound assessments, treatment, education and counseling in accordance with agency protocols for patients seeking both routine and complex primary care, family planning, and medication and surgical abortion services.
- Perform outpatient surgical procedures in addition to surgical abortion commensurate with surgical competency
- Analyze reports and findings of tests and examinations, and diagnose condition of patient.
- Ensure follow-up and appropriate referrals as necessary.
- Document patient data accurately and completely in the medical record.
- Participate in after-hours call coverage as a primary or back-up provider.
- Perform all tasks according to PPMW Medical Standards and Guidelines as well as relevant HIPAA, CLIA, OSHA, and other regulatory requirements including infection control standards and security guidelines.
- Manage emergency situations as they arise in the health center, and consult with Medical Director as necessary
- Participate in and provide leadership/modeling for department efforts to achieve established goals related to customer service, patient satisfaction, productivity, revenue generation and regulatory compliance.
- Participate in ongoing clinician in-service training and professional development activities.
- Assist Medical Director in overseeing high quality care to our patients throughout the affiliate.
- Provide medical consultation to clinicians regarding clinical management of specific patients/conditions; provide after-hours guidance to on-call staff as needed.
- Conduct training activities for new clinical staff and providers and participate in annual performance review processes as needed.
- Grant clinical privileges and approve competency requirements.
- Provide staff training and proctoring as needed.
- Provide support and oversight for clinical aspects of medical and nursing student training programs and medical residency programs.
- Serve as an integral member of the Medical Management team and attend all medical meetings as required.
- In consultation with Medical Director and other management staff, participate in recruitment, selection and training of qualified clinicians and other clinical staff. Assist in development of training material content.
- Participate in the establishment and review of referral agency relationships. Assist with outreach to local communities, local hospitals and health systems as needed.
- Successfully complete agency, regional and/or state certification requirements.
- Assists the Medical Director in the development of PPMW medical policies and protocols.
- Assist the Medical Director in overseeing the pharmaceutical, laboratory and mid-level supervision processes of the affiliate.
- Participate in affiliate research initiatives.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Medical Director
- Customer Service: Handles customer questions and complaints, communicates with customers, handles service problems politely and efficiently, always available for customers, follows procedures to solve customer problems, understands company products and services, maintains pleasant and professional image.
- Listening Skills: Listens attentively to others, asks clarifying questions, actively listens, stays open to other viewpoints, manages distractions and interruptions.
- Quality: Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems.
- Results Focus: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets team standards and responsibilities, provides leadership/motivation.
- Productivity: Manages fair workload, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, handles information flow.
- Dependability: Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, and meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Integrity/Ethics: Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, conveys good news and bad.
- Teamwork: Meets all team deadline and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere
- Computer Skills: Skilled in the use of computers, adapts to new technology, keeps abreast of changes, learns new programs quickly, uses computers to improve productivity.
- Job Knowledge: Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Possess a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an accredited medical or osteopathic school.
- Successful completion of an ACGME accredited residency program (or equivalent).
- Must have documented training and/or experience in male and female reproductive healthcare.
- Must possess a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine. Must be licensed (or willing to obtain licenses) in PPMW’s three jurisdictions (District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia).
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine.
- Must have current BLS or ACLS certification.
- Must have post-internship or residency experience in reproductive health to include family planning, management of sexually transmitted infections, peri-and post-menopause, benign gynecological conditions, and management of abnormal Pap test results.
- Provide evidence of Continuing Medical Education (CME) required by state board of medical examiners license renewal and PPFA.
- Must be able to travel between PPMW clinic sites.
- Must be highly organized, creative, and extremely detail-oriented.
- Excellent verbal, writing, research, computer, interpersonal skills and listening skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Support a woman’s right to choose legal options concerning pregnancy including abortion.
- Relates well to staff and patients and enjoys teaching.
- Self-motivated and interested in administrative challenges.
- Enjoys working with a diverse population of patients and staff.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusion. Ability to multi-task and to work effectively under pressure due to conflicting demands is required. Must be flexible, highly organized, creative and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret productivity reports, industry periodicals, government regulations and legal documents along with the ability to effectively present information to staff at all levels of the affiliate and the board of directors. Must have the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, including listening and interpersonal relationship communication skills as well as coaching and collaboration. This must include strong presentation and public speaking skills with the ability to appropriately and professionally interact with a diverse group of his/her staff and internal and external customers, including Board of Directors. Bilingual skills a plus.
Must possess the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Requires ability to interpret basic financial data and communicate implications to managers. Must have the ability to develop and manage a budget, including elements of cost analysis, cost management and revenue forecasting.
Excellent keyboarding skills with high level of accuracy required. Must have demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, possess capacity to learn software programs required for specific position and must be able to access electronic communications, including e-mail, Extranet, Intranet, and Internet.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee must possess a demonstrated ability to work in a diverse environment and build productive relationships. A demonstrated ability to effectively work independently and collaboratively as part of a team is essential.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Protestors may be present at work and related sites.
- The position may require frequent travel to multiple sites. Employee must provide own reliable transportation for the performance of agency duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. All of the job functions listed within this job description involve to greater and lesser degrees the following physical demands: close vision; hearing/listening; clear speech; walking; lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds; stooping; kneeling; bending; sitting; standing; and use of hands to finger, handle, feel and use keyboard.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, efforts, requirements or expectations of this position. Management reserves the right to revise or amend this description to include or remove tasks as circumstances change and the needs of PPMW so dictate.
PPMW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace