Occupational Medicine Physician
- Position Type
Overview: Access Omnicare (AOC) seeks a physician with appropriate training, experience, and strong diagnostic, treatment, communication and leadership skills for leading our physician-based, on-site medical facility located within Tesla’s main manufacturing plant in Fremont, CA. The successful candidate will have training, expertise and experience to accurately diagnose and competently treat and manage predominantly musculoskeletal work injuries; perform respirator medical clearance examinations, interpret screening audiograms and perform other basic medical surveillance examinations; triage emergency (including non-occupational) medical situations; liaison with production, EHS, workers’ compensation, and HR managers; and direct the clinical support staff. This position has the opportunity for growth to provide strategic and tactical direction and oversight to Access Omnicare’s main clinic and other on-site medical clinics in the Silicon Valley area.
Training, Qualifications and Experience
- Doctorate of Medicine (MD) degree from an accredited medical school.
- Residency training in any of the following fields: Occupational Medicine, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine with Sports Medicine, Emergency Medicine, or Physiatry. Occupational Medicine residency training should include additional training in one of the above or another specialty.
- Board-certification (preferable) or board-eligibility (within 2 years) in any one or more of the above specialties.
- Current unrestricted license to practice medicine in California with no prior adverse disciplinary actions in any jurisdiction.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the past 7 years in clinical practice (urgent care, occupational clinic, private practice, institutional clinic) with at least 50% of time devoted to: diagnosing and treating work injuries and illnesses, performing respirator medical clearance evaluations, chemical exposure-related conditions, fitness for duty examinations, minor injury care (suturing, wound care), and other occupationally-related clinical care.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of: California workers’ compensation law and requirements for medical determinations of work-relatedness; OSHA recordability criteria; respirators, hearing protection, and applicable requirements of OSHA respiratory protection and noise Standards; professional guidelines (e.g., ACOEM Guidelines for musculoskeletal conditions); drug and alcohol testing; safety data sheets (SDS) and basic chemical exposure and toxicity information.
- Preferable: DOT CDL certification; MRO certification; experience supervising mid-level practitioners (NP, PA, MA) and staff.
Requirements & Expectations
- Clinical expertise to accurately recognize, diagnose, determine occupational causation, and medically manage the prevalent work-related presentations in the facility’s employee population: acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, skin lesions, respiratory and other internal symptoms.
- Personal attributes including a combination of self-confidence, humility, integrity, accessibility, flexibility, adaptability and maturity are necessary to take and provide feedback, accept and execute responsibilities, and thrive in a dynamic work environment.
- Effective communication skills—listening, observing, speaking, and documenting—findings, concerns, recommendations, and other information with stakeholders, including patients, Access Omnicare team members, and Tesla supervisors and managers (EHS, HR, workers’ compensation).
Responsibilities: This position will be approximately 85% clinical and 15% administrative, during weekday (Monday-Friday) business hours (8:00 AM – 5:00 PM) with scheduled, after-hours telephone “call.” No hospital duties are required.
- The physician must be able to handle a steady, high patient volume for injury diagnosis and management, balancing thoroughness with time, and responding to emergency situations as they arise.
- The physician will be scheduled to perform basic respirator medical clearance examinations and interpret screening audiograms for employees who are assigned respirators and hearing protection, respectively. Other basic medical surveillance examinations (e.g., formaldehyde, isocyanates) and fitness for duty examinations (e.g., return from illness; determination of physical and mental fitness for specific job tasks) may be conducted.
Opportunities: A successful candidate for this position has the opportunity to grow into a broader leadership role in directing strategy, operational quality assurance, and business growth and development of Access Omnicare’s occupational health and wellness services at its main Fremont facility and at other on-site corporate medical clinics in conjunction with the physician-owner, practice administrator and operations manager.
Apply for Occupational Medicine Physician
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly