Chief Medical Officer
7 days left
- Position Type
As Chief Medical Officer for the Railroad Retirement Board, you will provide advice and support to the Director of Programs on issues relating to disability under the Railroad Retirement Act and sickness under the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act.
As a Chief Medical Officer, you will:
- Provide assistance and expert medical guidance to the Office of Programs in the adjudication of disability annuity claims under the Railroad Retirement Act (RRA) and sickness insurance claims under the Railroad Unemployment Insurance Act.
- Personally provide medical expertise to agency staff in the adjudication of disability annuities and sickness insurance claims.
- Provide professional medical advice to examiners and Quality Assurance staff to ensure decisions are in accord with medical standards, laws, regulations, and policies.
- Assist and collaborate with the Disability Advisory Committee established by Board regulations to recommend and implement medically sound standards.
- Conduct reviews of disability cases to identify deficiencies or systemic program weaknesses and provide recommendations.
- Develop with agency staff, training in interpreting medical opinions, findings, and records for claims examiners and other staff for disability annuity and sickness insurance claim determinations and reviews.
- Assist with presenting training material to examiners and other agency staff.
- Assist in the assessment, acquisition, implementation, and monitoring of software applications relating to claims for disability annuities under the RRA.
- Advise the Director of Programs and other agency staff regarding medical issues concerning administration of contracts for medical examinations and opinions, and advise regarding evaluation of bids.
- Acts as agency medical liaison to other Federal agencies and to the public. May assist medical professionals regarding interactions with the agency.
To qualify for this position, you must meet the following requirements:
Degree: Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine or equivalent from a school in the United States or Canada. This degree must have been accredited by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association; Association of American Medical Colleges; Liaison Committee on Medical Education; Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation of the American Osteopathic Association, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
NOTE: ALL applicants MUST upload legible transcripts as verification of educational requirement. Transcripts MUST be uploaded and electronically linked from USAJOBS at the time you apply.
Degree from Foreign Medical School: A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school must provide education and medical knowledge equivalent to accredited schools in the United States. Evidence of equivalency to accredited schools in the United States is demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed pre-medical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country, or successful completion of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination.
Applicants must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a Physician from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
ALL applicants MUST electronically upload a legible copy of current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a Physician at the time you apply. Failure to submit will result in a rating of not qualified.
***Please include proof of the below training in your uploaded documents***
Subsequent to obtaining a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree, a candidate must have had at least 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., a 1-year internship or the first year of a residency program in a hospital or an institution accredited for such training. For purposes of this standard, graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada.
If applicable, applicants will undergo a credentialing process. This process includes validation of medical examinations, education, internship, and residency. Please electronically upload these documents along with your required supporting documentation at the time you apply.
In addition to the basic requirements, applicants must also have:
Applicants must have 5 years of graduate training in the specialty of the position to be filled OR equivalent experience and training.
Some examples of this qualifying experience are:
- Experience in applying medical expertise in support of employee health program areas, such as preemployment medical assessments, fitness for duty, health promotion, and operational medicine.
- Experience in conducting occupationally relevant physical examinations, reviewing reports and medical evaluation, and formulating a diagnosis and/or opinion.
- Experience in making recommendations to management with regard to the impact of the diagnosis upon an employee's ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
Board Certification in Occupational Medicine is desirable.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Apply for Chief Medical Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly